Why won't you go plant-based?

No meat, poultry, fish, eggs or dairy.Why won't you go plant-based?

2657

Most Helpful Guys

• I'm not a vegan or vegetarian. I grew up in a culture where meat was consumed in smaller amounts than vegetables and meat is not automatically the "star" at every meal and where it's perfectly normal to enjoy a meal without meat (even a whole day without meat!). I enjoy cooking and eating meat, but I'd feel very uncomfortable eating a meal where there were no vegetables at all.

I think that it's hopeless to convince everyone to go vegetarian or vegan. People like their meat or animal-based products, whether it's from preference or the strong ties and identity they have with their culture's cuisine.

What might work better is if we (as in society as a whole) could persuade people to eat LESS meat, and eat MORE vegetables/plant-based food. I read somewhere that if every American could go vegetarian for one day - as in Meatless Monday - for a full year, you could reduce the animals slaughtered in a year by about 1 billion.

The United States is probably either Number 1 or 2 in the entire world in terms of Meat consumed per person (I think Australians eat a lot of meat as well, so they'd be very close to the US in terms of meat consumption). I've seen people eat steaks that are bigger than my head, and walloped meals that only consisted of huge amounts of meat and next to no vegetables. If you could convince them to eat ONE meal a week that had NO meat at all, I would consider that as a step in the right direction in terms of reducing the effect livestock have on our environment.

• Kind of pricey for me being into fitness if I tried to get the precise ratio of macros and a complete set of micros going plant-based. It's difficult to get the widest variety of micronutrients going plant-based.

For example, there are plenty of vegan protein sources but it's difficult to find very pure protein sources that are rich in leucine and don't have a caloric breakdown that includes a lot of fats and carbs besides supplements like nutritional yeast and spirulina, but the former is lacking in leucine.

It's doable but a bit on the pricey end if I cut out all animal products. I do tend to be more plant-based than ever before, but I still swear by salmon and egg whites and liver and whey and so forth.

• I do actually enjoy vegan food though and have gone pretty far as far as plant-based, all the way to developing a taste for nutritional yeast and kale and fortified vegan cereals and so forth. But the difficulty to me is particularly the micro balance.

I've heard vegans say that animal products are not very nutritious, but that's kind of misleading because animals are a secondary source of a lot of micronutrients, but they consume a wide range of plant life (as well as insects and so forth). So when we eat something like a liver, that starts to become packed with micronutrients in a way that can surpass any multivitamin, e. g.:

http://www.fitbit.com/foods/Pork+Liver+Raw/7997

I don't even like liver all that much. I eat it primarily for fitness reasons.

• Was engaged long ago to a vegan and she wasn't the "meat is murder" type and didn't mind if I ordered a steak at a restaurant, but I came to really grow fond of her cooking and she always cooked strictly plant-based vegan, but her dishes tasted great to me. And I do think moving more plant-based is generally healthier for most people. I'm just not sure about going 100% there unless someone is especially careful and willing to spend the extra time and money to eat a wide variety of plant sources in ways that gives them a balanced macro ratio and a wide range of micronutrients.

Most Helpful Girls

• I do for 90%. The latest medical studies have shown that a diet that does not exceed 10% animal or fish products provides no concern for increased risks of cancer, over and above, a vegan diet.

• Because meat replacements in Canada are extremely expensive and hard to find in my area. So I would be limited to eating nothing but plants, which just sounds unsustainable for me personally. If things like "beyond meat" become more available and more reasonably priced, then I'll happily go plant based.

• meat replacements are a con anyway. the best replacement is veg. eat the right things and made up processed crap of any sort is not required for good health.

• not everything that is a conspiricy theory is wrong like not every vegan is weak, i was just saying you dont need quorn or soya based meat alikes to be vegetarian. personally any person is welcome to eat what the fuck they like. its a s personal as which hand you use to wipe your bum in my book.