Why won't you go plant-based?

No meat, poultry, fish, eggs or dairy.Why won't you go plant-based?

1|1

Most Helpful Guys

• I'm not a vegan or vegetarian. I grew up in a culture where meat was consumed in smaller amounts than vegetables and meat is not automatically the "star" at every meal and where it's perfectly normal to enjoy a meal without meat (even a whole day without meat!). I enjoy cooking and eating meat, but I'd feel very uncomfortable eating a meal where there were no vegetables at all.

I think that it's hopeless to convince everyone to go vegetarian or vegan. People like their meat or animal-based products, whether it's from preference or the strong ties and identity they have with their culture's cuisine.

What might work better is if we (as in society as a whole) could persuade people to eat LESS meat, and eat MORE vegetables/plant-based food. I read somewhere that if every American could go vegetarian for one day - as in Meatless Monday - for a full year, you could reduce the animals slaughtered in a year by about 1 billion.

The United States is probably either Number 1 or 2 in the entire world in terms of Meat consumed per person (I think Australians eat a lot of meat as well, so they'd be very close to the US in terms of meat consumption). I've seen people eat steaks that are bigger than my head, and walloped meals that only consisted of huge amounts of meat and next to no vegetables. If you could convince them to eat ONE meal a week that had NO meat at all, I would consider that as a step in the right direction in terms of reducing the effect livestock have on our environment.

1|0
    0|0
  • Kind of pricey for me being into fitness if I tried to get the precise ratio of macros and a complete set of micros going plant-based. It's difficult to get the widest variety of micronutrients going plant-based.

For example, there are plenty of vegan protein sources but it's difficult to find very pure protein sources that are rich in leucine and don't have a caloric breakdown that includes a lot of fats and carbs besides supplements like nutritional yeast and spirulina, but the former is lacking in leucine.

It's doable but a bit on the pricey end if I cut out all animal products. I do tend to be more plant-based than ever before, but I still swear by salmon and egg whites and liver and whey and so forth.

1|0
    0|0
    • I do actually enjoy vegan food though and have gone pretty far as far as plant-based, all the way to developing a taste for nutritional yeast and kale and fortified vegan cereals and so forth. But the difficulty to me is particularly the micro balance.

I've heard vegans say that animal products are not very nutritious, but that's kind of misleading because animals are a secondary source of a lot of micronutrients, but they consume a wide range of plant life (as well as insects and so forth). So when we eat something like a liver, that starts to become packed with micronutrients in a way that can surpass any multivitamin, e. g.:

http://www.fitbit.com/foods/Pork+Liver+Raw/7997

I don't even like liver all that much. I eat it primarily for fitness reasons.

• Was engaged long ago to a vegan and she wasn't the "meat is murder" type and didn't mind if I ordered a steak at a restaurant, but I came to really grow fond of her cooking and she always cooked strictly plant-based vegan, but her dishes tasted great to me. And I do think moving more plant-based is generally healthier for most people. I'm just not sure about going 100% there unless someone is especially careful and willing to spend the extra time and money to eat a wide variety of plant sources in ways that gives them a balanced macro ratio and a wide range of micronutrients.

Most Helpful Girls

• I do for 90%. The latest medical studies have shown that a diet that does not exceed 10% animal or fish products provides no concern for increased risks of cancer, over and above, a vegan diet.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because meat replacements in Canada are extremely expensive and hard to find in my area. So I would be limited to eating nothing but plants, which just sounds unsustainable for me personally. If things like "beyond meat" become more available and more reasonably priced, then I'll happily go plant based.

2|0
    0|0
    • meat replacements are a con anyway. the best replacement is veg. eat the right things and made up processed crap of any sort is not required for good health.

• Show All
    • not everything that is a conspiricy theory is wrong like not every vegan is weak, i was just saying you dont need quorn or soya based meat alikes to be vegetarian. personally any person is welcome to eat what the fuck they like. its a s personal as which hand you use to wipe your bum in my book.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 55

• It's not possible. We are just humans.

To keep a balance in the ecosystem we have to eat whatever we get from the place we live in.

I eat plant based food too, along with meat, poultry, fish, eggs and dairy products.

To maintain that balance, people should reduce the rate of reproduction. I've decided the same, no to give birth to kids and break the ecosystem as well as it is a burden to the kid too.

Instead of going vegan, better choose wisely. Isn't it?

1|0
    0|1
  • Humans are notoriously omnivorous. The important extension to that is the difficulty of replacing things like protein by being far more selective over what you do eat. If you eat meats or eggs or whatever, then it's not typically an issue. Being omnivorous greatly improves your options for both preference and need. But, each to their own. That's not to say it's wrong to be vegan or whatnot.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have already started to. My goal is to be down to one meal per month with meat products in it by the end of the year. I have experienced huge changes in my life by going more plant based, for the first time in a long time: I don't have any joint pain.

1|0
    0|0
  • There just a lot of nutrients that are missing in the diet that you only get with meat. Protein especially if you are interested in physical exercise as people usually need half there body weight or more (lbs. - grams) in order for proper reconstruction.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sorry, I agree that going Vegan is better for the environment, but the meat just tastes way too good. Plus, I don't have an strong enough incentive to stop.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am no joke allergic to soy, peas, beans etc. I get a hard time trying to breathe, my stomach crashes harder than an airplane at 9000m altitude, and my body starts itching. It's mostly thanks to my peanut allergy, but peanuts are related to soy, etc.

Even if I wanted to (which I don't btw) become a vegan, it wouldn't be possible, because I'd have no protein source.

0|0
    0|1
  • Meat is the fastest and easiest way of getting of protein for me. The hell is poultry? I hate fish it tastes disgusting... Eggs? Meh I NEED them in a dessert that I love same witv dairy products. I need butter in it too. I always use milk when drinking protein shakes as with water the mixture just tastes like shit...

0|0
    0|0
  • I couldnt do it. I love meat and dairy. The thought of a juicy, tender piece of chicken has more appeal than a salad. Aside from that, chicken and fish are very healthy along with bison. Vegetables are important, but I think a balanced diet is healthiest.

0|0
    0|0
  • Plants are just boring to me, they always seemed more like a garnish or a side dish, never a full meal. Maybe I just need to find the right kinds of fruits and veggies to change my mind, but it's doubtful.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just look at this meat in all its glory! https://youtu.be/k2R0MOwI0Mk

How can you not want to take a bite! Plus we are ment to eat meat. Our eyes are infront like any good predator unlike say a cow with its eyes on the side. We have teeth ment for ripping and cutting flesh and molars for grinding everything up unlike a cow that has nothing but molars. We cannot go against our evolution.

https://youtu.be/_PpZarebqCo

Animals have rights to ample amounts of butter and garlic. Especially as we take their habitat. #save the animals eat some today

0|1
    0|1
  • Because I respect other's dietary choices despite their refusal to show me the same courtesy.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because I dont want to.. honestly that's the only reason. I like meat, poultry, eggs, fish and dairy products

1|0
    0|0
  • Personally I think because as long as history of mankind goes, people ate both plant and meat, I think that you need to eat both because of body and brain development, some things you can find only in meat and some can find only in plants, so you need both, also when you go to some heavy physical work plant just won't get you enough energy to carry on that work to the end because you need agresivness and strenght and it is proven by lots of researches that eating meat boosts men agresivness, strenght and stamina. Aside from athletes who are on diets because nutricionists calculate exactly what they need to eat to give maximum performance, but if you go to cut woods for 3 months in forrest your body would naturally send you signals that you need meat. Ask every normal nutricionist who is man of profession not of publicity and you will see the answer

0|0
    0|0
    • Hypothetically, if you could easily get an identical food regime that was just as calorific, substantial and as nutritional as a meat eating diet that was completely plant based, would you then go vegan?

• Well... Its not just calories at the table I am talking about specific hemicals... for example celulose you can find only in plants, and it helps your in digesting your food easier, but I think creatin you can find only in meat (sorry if I am mistaking) it helps you by adding water around your muscles so lots of hemical process that your muscles do during some hard work would be easier because water helps in cell methabolism. BUT IF PLANT COULD SOMEHOW GIVE ME ALL SAME CHEMICALS AS MEAT I WOULD GO ON PLANT, dont think that I didn't think about those animals which meat I eat. But we are created in this nature we dont have another to replace it, and we must act according to it.

• I am indian
    Iam totaly veg
    I use always green leafy vegetables, sprout seeds, vegetable and fruit mixed salad, and one fruit with juice.
    Plant based foods make u more healthy rather than non veg

0|0
    0|0
  • The human body needs stuff only present in non plant based food. Also, plants are living things just like animals are. It's mainly because it's my preference though.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not good for your health. Humans need a balanced diet. We don't have two stomachs like cattle.

0|2
    0|1
  • Not enough sources of fat, and I don't like avacado.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's simple I love sushi and seafood. If I went plant based I'd probably starve. When you grow up in an Asian family fish is your key meat substance and eating it raw is even more of a gift.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t know if that would be enough to fill me up. Especially for days when I work long hours. I would give it a try I can say that much.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because meat is life , we born carnivores not rabbits. We need meat fish eggs and dairy to live healthy. Fuck vegans and vegetarians , rat a steak and shut up

0|0
    0|0
  • Because I'm aware that humans are hypocarnivores rather than herbivores.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's my personal diet choice. No environmental veganazi is going to tell me otherwise.
    I like eating meat and cheese it tastes nice.

0|0
    0|1
  • Because every vegan i ever met was a weirdo with no friends.

0|1
    0|1
  • Because I love meat. Plus as an omnivorous species, meat is part of our diet.

0|2
    0|1
  • why should I? I like meat , eggs and so on.
    Why won't you eat only raw meat?

0|2
    0|1
  • It just seems like I won't be filled up, plus I will miss the taste of bacon. Mmm 🥓

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I've been going on with you this morning what are you doing vegan

0|0
    0|0
    • So you set them on me that I was spamming you and all that shit I ain't even talk to you one time

• Just a little bit of conversation I can't get that from you Olivia

• It would be really enjoyable to me I'm just asking

• At the other hand, why would I? I like to eat those things and they're good for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wouldn't do it because surely I would starve before I can adapt to that style

0|0
    0|0
  • Cause i like them and for some people its dangerous

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 24

• It’s too hard for me to get the 150g of protein I need without having like 500g of carbs, too. I’m not low carb or anything but I’m also wary of carb overload.

1|1
    0|0
  • why would I limit myself like that? if you say for animal rights? well I only buy my meat from local farmers that raise their animals ethically. I want to get all my nutrients the way I was meant to, not start eating plants only and substitute missing vitamins from synthetic capsules

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm already having a hard time getting enough protein from my diet and my diet is very restricted, so I don't want to restrict it any further. Also, I just like dairy too damn much. I've tried alternatives, but they just don't taste good at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • Personally, I have found that eating too much plants gives me diarrhea.

2|0
    0|0
  • Because humans are innately omnivores and I like the taste of meat so I don't see why I would give it up

1|0
    0|0
  • I can't make a simple and tasty salat. They are either boring or terrible.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because that diet makes me feel like shit malnourished passing out low iron and other important things to be honest.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've tried and can't, need my animal protein. I have two days a week that is meatless but I do have cheese.

0|0
    0|0
  • It seems difficult, but it's something that I want to do. Right now I'm just vegetarian, I wanna do better though

0|0
    0|0
  • I like meat and ice cream... fatty ice cream not the vegan ice cream I taste the difference.

1|0
    0|0
  • Y don't u try ur own size n taste n stop bothering big size women.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because I hate 99% of vegetables, quite literally.
    I would gain 500 kilograms if I tried that b

0|0
    0|0
  • because eating meat is so satisfying

1|4
    0|0
  • Because I choose not to.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sorry I still want to eat sushi and pizzas

1|1
    0|0
  • I don't eat at all! Plants have feelings too!

2|1
    0|0
  • Bacon and pork dumplings are tasty

0|0
    0|0
  • Because I like chicken 🍗

0|1
    0|0
  • Simply because I don't want to!

0|0
    0|0
  • I do.

0|0
    0|0
  • iron deficiency

0|0
    0|0
  • My dad sells burgers

0|0
    0|0
  • I love meat

0|0
    0|0
  • Too broke to be that consistent with my diet right now.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes