When two people try the same food but one likes it and one doesn't is it because they don't both like what they are tasting or because they're not?

Tasting the same thing. Since I was young I've always wondered about this. I try cilantro and say "I hate this it tastes disgusting." You try cilantro and say "I love this it tastes great." Are you tasting the same thing I am tasting and your taste buds are perceiving it the same way but, for whatever reason, you like that taste and, even though my taste buds are perceiving it the same way, I don't?

Or, are you tasting a flavor more along the lines of what you like. When you try chocolate you taste something salty and sweet and when I try chocolate I taste bitter and sour. In other words, if I could transfer what I am tasting onto your tongue would you also dislike it, or visa versa? Or, if I could transfer what I am tasting onto your tongue so that your tongue perceived it the same way would you still not like it for whatever reason?

Hope that made sense and I didn't contradict myself.

Thoughts?

33

Most Helpful Girl

• Everyone percieves taste differently. For the example you gave, cilantro.

• But are we tasting something different and, if we were both experiencing the same taste, we would feel the same way about it? Or, are we tasting the same general flavor combination and balance and we just don't like that flavor. Say Key lime pie was perceived as 25% sour, 50% bitter, and 25% salty on the taste buds by somebody who does not like key lime pie. If the other person perceived it the same way, would they not like it. Would they not like that same intensity of sour or bitter?

• It can be genetic. Certain cultures and people can't taste things that others can. What I was saying before was that the people who find cilantro disgusting actually have a different part if their DNA activated that makes it taste bad to them

• @AZC90 I've heard that about cilantro. But that still doesn't answer the question whether DNA is affecting the taste buds and therefore the flavor or whether DNA is affecting the brain and therefore how the same flavor is being perceived.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's the classic "is your red my red too" quandary, which unfortunately can't really be answered. Though as far as taste goes I'm sure an individuals taste buds play a part.

• With the "is your red my red too," couldn't you find the number of cones and rods in a person's eyes and, based on that, know whether or not they see the same thing? If the cones and rods are the same and the optic nerve is the same, two people are perceiving it the same way. As far as I know, some people are super tasters and some people are normal tasters. If you could somehow figure out the tastebuds on everybody's tongue you could probably find out what is going on.