How to stop drinking so much soda pop?

My parents keep soda pop in the house a lot because we are always busy outside so it’s a good snack but I will drink a lot of it everyday because it’s readily available. My parents buy multiple cases so we don’t have to keep buying it every week since we live on a farm in the middle of nowhere.

I always crave coke or Pepsi. How can I stop or not drink it so much?
Updates:
I have a high metabolism so the getting fat part isn’t the big issue for me.

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• This is kind of extreme but what weened me off sodas and fruit juice and sugary drinks in general was intermittent fasting. I tried that to lean down a bit with a 4-hour fasting window right away. And you can still eat plenty in that 4-hour window.

The thing is, outside the window, you cannot have anything with calories. You can have zero-calorie drinks like water, carbonated water, black coffee, unsweetened tea, etc. And it was because that was perfectly okay to consume outside the window that I started to develop a taste for black coffee, plain old water, and even just carbonated water which I used to think was so gross but it becomes less gross when that's the only carbonated thing you can drink outside the window.

I found that one of the easiest dietary restrictions to apply since it's very simple to follow (no measuring, no pre-prepping meals, etc). The only nuisance was that I had to refuse offers for food and drink outside the time window in social settings. That said, I did it when I was gaining a little bit of a "dad bod" thing and needed to shed some body fat. If you're already lean then it might be a very heavy-handed solution. But it definitely did the trick for me to ween myself off of such liquid calories.

1|0
    0|0
    • An idea that just popped in my head is just apply like an IF mindset to drinks. Have a time window where you are allowed sugary drinks like sodas. You can start it large if you want, like 8 hours. Then reduce to 6 hours. Then 4 hours. Then 2 hours. Then maybe you only have one hour in the day where you're allowed drinks with calories. By that point you should already be developing a taste for zero-calorie drinks like water since they're the only ones you can have outside the shrinking time window.

• I used to do something like that when I had my own apartment. I would buy a case and then set a rule that the case had to last me the entire month. But now that I’m not the one buying it, it’s getting harder.

• I used to drink a lot of pop, you just have to stop by yourself and force yourself to drink water. I always have a bottle of water next to me with a sports cap so I can just guzzle a bit of water every 2 mins. After a while you just do it without even realizing, Your skin will get more healthier and well there are lots of other health benefits.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It's tough giving up the caffeine and sweet taste, but it is one of the reasons kids are overweight as there is a lot of calories in a soft drink. It is also a leading reason why your teeth rot out. I'm sure you have seen the video of how coke will dissolve a nail. Think what it does to the enamel on your teeth.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 10

• Soda is terrible for a person unless it's sugar-free. Start buying MiO drink mix instead of soda. That's what I do. Soda, fruit juices, and milk are too expensive for me to buy every week. Soda used to be a luxury item in America. A small bottle of Coca-Cola was like a milkshake or a fruit smoothie. People weren't buying two-liter bottles of soda to drink with every meal.

0|0
    0|0
  • Water is a great substitute and free. if it's the urge that is making you drink it try switching to diet and then alternate water and soda.

1|1
    0|0
  • Just get some willpower and after 4-5 days your body will start to crave water, honestly its that simple.

1|0
    0|0
  • I found I drank a lot because of the caffeine. So when I want to cut back I start drinking spite to get away from it

0|0
    0|0
  • Try drinking only one or two a day, then gradually reduce it. Keep yourself full from healthy foods to stop the cravings.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sugar is addictive. Have the balls or balls female equivalent to pick it up and put it down the drain or else you'll be come fatter.

0|0
    0|0
  • Do u have milk in the house. This is my go to. Otherwise cups of water are cool

0|0
    0|0
  • You don't. ;)
    MuahahahahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

0|0
    0|0
  • Have it locked away?

0|0
    0|0
  • Drink water instead. You just... stop.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• Maybe you should hide the soda so you don't keep thinking about it or reaching for it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Drink water and place them where it's inaccessible for you...

0|0
    0|0
  • I just drink carbonated water. You get the bubbles like soda but you don't get sugars from it

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes