How do I become a better cook?

Any GaGer cooks out there? And not the one who claims “they can cook anything” I’m talking about career cooks. How can I become the best cook there ever was?
Updates:
That’s just a movie
You look on the internet

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Passion, creativity, experience and very high stamina for long hours. You need to WANT it for yourself and mean it otherwise you'd never make it.

I am a chef. Haven't been for very long but looking at a possible promotion soon. I don't get weekends off, the hours are extremely long and anti-social, and I get very few breaks but I learn new skills and techniques every single day. It'll take years and years to be a top chef so you need to be determined.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Study Bobby Flay.

First before you worry about the recipes and the kitchen, develop an arrogant mindset. Have a chip on your shoulder. It's not enough for you to succeed, all others must fail! You must imagine a crowd of detractors and critics surrounding you at all times, jeering you, insulting you, and preying on your every mistake. Imagine a rival cook working feverishly on the counter behind you, trying to cook up something that will put you to shame and end your career. You're not just scrambling some fucking eggs, you're throwing your scabbard into the sea, READY TO DIE to beat your enemies.

You must become paranoid to the point of schizophrenia, my friend. You must make everything in your life about outwitting your enemies. Imagine enemies everywhere. Talk about your enemies, write about your enemies, always be thinking about your enemies, sharpening their knives to eviscerate you the instant you falter!

Try coke.

0|1
    0|0
  • I wanted to become a chef before I became CEO, I still cook with passion and its a hobby of mine.

Well first things first, how are your cooking skills so far?

0|0
    0|0
    • okay so you know the basics, What I did to get better at cooking was simply trying out stuff I saw on the Internet. You could also learn how diffrent spices work together and how to use them in cooking.

• Those are basics bro. Sounds like that’s a relative term.

Like I said, I need advice from career cooks. Not internet keyboard warriors.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 8

• Culinary school? They're pretty intense though... I've heard tales of Fish Class.

I had a roommate who was at a culinary academy to be a pastry chef. It's wild.

0|0
    0|0
  • Take a cooking course, that is the best way to learn to be a great cook! Or follow recipes that are simple and be creative... good luck.

0|0
    0|0
  • I thought you said you quit your job or were going to?

0|0
    0|0
  • Practice.
    Try new recipes
    Be positive
    Don't give up
    Have faith.
    Watch cook shows
    Look for recipes online , magazines, stores, books

0|0
    0|0
  • So first I would start by actually cooking the meat

0|0
    0|0
  • You... cook.

0|0
    0|0
  • Practice practice practice

0|0
    0|0
  • By cooking

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 13

• my profession isn't a chef but as someone who likes to cook, i would say start by growing your own herbs, taste many different spices, sauces, cooking wines, and ingredients from different countries to know their taste and so you'll know what would pair well with what.

learn proper chop, slice, cut, dice knife techniques.

when it comes to actually cooking you have to know searing, steaming, simmering, pan frying/frying, and stir frying.

1|1
    0|0
  • "In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto, "Anyone can cook." But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist; but a great artist can come from anywhere." ---Ego from Ratatouille.

Just practice.

0|0
    0|0
  • From my sight there is no "best cook" in the world, because, simply bc not everyone likes the same taste... he could make the best salmon dish in the world but still I dont like salmon, would he be then a bader cook?

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a chef and I hate it but to learn to cook is simply by experimenting. I try different ways to cook rice for example I started with regular white rice then rice and beans and tried different condiments and spices.

At first it will all taste crappy but eventually you'll develop a sense of taste and get better and better.

A good recipe to try would be to make your own pasta. Just regular flour eggs and salt. Then shape it an boil it.

Easy as pie try it till it comes out perfect then move to meats spice them with salt, garlic, parsley and paprika they taste super good. Melt some butter in a frying pan and cook it till it's 165 degrees and you're good.

After that you officially learned a full simple meal

0|0
    0|0
  • Men grill. Women cook.

0|0
    0|0
    • I do both. I’m trying to specialize in grilling and cutting meat.

• Show All
    • You need to learn how to make sauces and soups if you want to have a successful career. But typically yes the chef sticks to the meat cutting and has his underlyings do the rest. In a way you are right.

• Use salt

0|0
    0|0
  • Cook better

0|0
    0|0
  • Eat out

0|0
    0|0
  • Try to be just like chef Corey Wolf Heart

0|0
    0|0