Is anything really “organic” as it is advertised?

I saw a video of YouTube of scam hustlers in the UK buying cheap sausages and vegetable oil from the supermarket. Repackaging it to make it look like authentic organic packaging and then selling it at a local market claiming it’s all organic and doubling the price. People actually bought it. It makes me think if organic really exists.

My mom saw a video on Facebook of a organic grain farmer spraying his crops with 5 different chemicals and still claimed it’s all “organic”. Doesn’t organic mean chemical free?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• You shouldn't listen to all the negative connotations people associate with "non-organic" or "GMOs."

The definition of organic is:

relating to or derived from living matter

So that is literally just any living thing. Food industries and producers throw around that term because people are dumb enough to think that "organic" or chemical use is an indication of quality. The label "Organic" in terms of food, is just a bedazzled marketing tool.

This is how you should approach food/labels:

1) don't think of chemicals as "bad". Chemicals are nuetral; that are neither good nor bad. They can have both good and bad effects, but chemicals are not inherently terrible. A lot of chemicals used on food actually just make it look more appealing or help clean it. If you question the effects of a chemical, just do a quick Google search.

2) GMO's are good; they are essentially just natural selection on steroids. GMOs are what make your food taste better, grow in larger quantities, and have resistance to bugs/parasites. If you don't know what GMOs are, you should definitely do some research on them. As of now, there is nothing that indicates that they have negative effects on people. Actually, evidence indicates that GMOs have saved millions from starvation and have enhanced food quality.

3) "organic" is just a label producers put on their food so that they can raise it's value. Additionally, substances used on organic food have been proven to have worse effects on the environment than non organic. Yes, organic foods are supposed to not use chemicals and pesticides. But that is a very dumb practice that hinders development and fosters ignorance. Like I said, the persticides and chemicals used
    often aren't bad. And, organic foods often even use chemicals, they are just less effective than what non organic foods use.

Don't listen to organic/"non organic" food labels. If anything, you should make sure to get non organic foods, because organic is less effectively and efficiently grown. "Organic" also makes food more expensive, and takes advantage of people's ignorance.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 7

• Organic does exist, but u may not find it at the supermarket. You have to know the grower. It's not hard to do. Go to a farmers market and talk to people. Or, if you live in a rural area, talk to a farmer. Good chance they've got a garden with so much stuff they can't tbey can't possibly make use of it all. Twice a week you'll walk outside and find a bushel basket of fresh veggies. No joke.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well yes I am sure there are many orgs if products who are exactly what they claim to be
    And of course there are some who do the bare minimum to call their products that
    And then there are those who dwindle
    All businesses all out to make money some have different ethics on what is acceptable to achieve that

0|0
    0|0
  • Technically everything that is once living is organic - relating to or derived from living matter.

0|2
    0|0
  • No it means manufactured chemical free. Like how perdue gives their chickens a high dietary supplement of basil to act as an antibiotic so their chickens are antibiotic free. You can spray watered down cow feces all over organic crops. You can also use any ground up plants that haven't been chemically altered. Think about this, cocaine is organic but is it good for you? Most organic fertilizer or pesticide are less harmful than chemically manufactured ones. Nicotine is an organic pesticide used on tobacco.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's all a big bag of bullshit, which I believe is organic..

0|1
    0|0
  • Not much.

0|0
    0|0
  • its all to make more money

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• Food is food, thats all i can comment. Nothing is realy realy good for us now a days... prices are rising on food and the only organic is only if you grew you're own garden of vegetable and fruits... then pack it up and sale it for high price... ok. But seriously, food is food. My own opinion, no one needs to agree at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • in my opinion organic on the package means very little.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it is not but it is expensive

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes