Recipes for fussy eater?

So just so you understand what you're working with here: up until maybe 2 months ago, I hadn't eaten a single fruit or vegetable since I was about 10. Not unless you include ketchup, tomato puree, and the occasional rogue onion in a pasta sauce...

Anyway, I've recently been trying to make the effort to improve my diet. I've started adding peppers, onion and tomatoes into things but I feel like I still need to branch out a little more. As such, I'm calling on all you avid cooks out there (or those with some interesting recipes). I'm looking for anything that is healthy but works well with meat. For example, bacon wrapped asparagus or something that works well as a side for steak.

Alternatively, I'm looking for recipes that are healthy (particularly those that are more protein and fat oriented as opposed to carb-based (although pasta dishes would be fine)). I've been using the website Yummly but without knowing what direction to go in, there is just too much choice. If you have links or even just different websites that would be useful in this situation then please share!

Thanks!
I probably should have specified that I'm only really looking for vegetable orientated recipes as opposed to fruit. Thanks!

24

Most Helpful Girl

• I think a dish such as fried-rice would be good. It can either be a side-dish or main meal, and you can add in corn, broccoli, peppers, carrots, snap peas, etc, while still having rice and beef (or chicken/shrimp if you'd rather) and getting your protein. Add in some soy sauce, or teriyaki, maybe sriracha if you like spicy to give the veggies some flavor.

I'd check out AllRecipes. They have a lot of tasty, veggie-based sides on there that you check out and customize to your liking.

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't bother with vegetable-based recipes, most of the important nutrition in vegetables is heat sensitive (such as vitamin C) and thus destroyed during the cooking process.

I found the best solution is to simply have a leafy salad on the side.
    Leafy vegetables tend to be the least disgusting and also the most nutritionally dense, especially if you go for the "baby" versions (microgreens) which are even smaller and even more dense.

• Interesting, I wasn't aware of that! I had no idea what microgreens were but after a quick search they definitely look like something I could incorporate into food. Thanks for the advice, brother!