Why have my taste buds worsen? Scientific explanation?

The last few years my taste buds have become lesser sensitive and many food types tastes more bland now than what they did ca. three years ago. In addition I've become way pickier. Is there a scientific reason on why they gets worse and what can I do? Paradoxically I'm high sensitive on smells, yet my taste buds aren't very sensitive. No, I've no health problems. #TasteBuds
Why have my taste buds worsen? Scientific explanation?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• You lose all your senses as you get older, except hopefully not your sense of humor.
    The average person is born with roughly 9,000 taste buds Each taste bud is a bundle of sensory cells, grouped together tightly. These taste buds cover the tongue and send taste signals to the brain through nerves. Taste buds vary in their sensitivity to different kinds of tastes. Some will be especially good at sensing sweetness, while others will be especially attune to bitter flavors, and so on.

When young, taste buds are good at regenerating; cells replace themselves every 1-2 weeks. (This ability for regeneration is why one recovers the ability to taste only a few days after burning the tongue on a hot beverage, for example.

Aging may change that ability. Though taste buds generally seem to be good at regenerating even with age, older taste buds are less adept at regenerating after injury. Also, some kinds of medication can interfere with taste. The amount of loss varies from one individual to another, but women generally report losing taste in their 50s and men in their 60s.

0|0
    0|0
  • As you age your tastebuds do change significantly.
    I've also noticed things tasting blander lately and that "favorite foods" are no longer favorites. I've also developed really bad reflux and can not longer eat things like tomato sauce or peanut butter without feeling like my stomach is melting.

0|0
    0|0
    • It's nice to hear I'm not the only one with this "problem". I don't like gelatin or frozen pizza anymore, but they were okay when I was a kid. Nowadays they're just a no.

• My specific condition is called G. E. R. D. (gastro esophageal reflux disease)

• I've no conditions. The only thing is that my taste buds have changed, are lesser sensitive and I don't like the same food anymore. I'm also pickier. Some foods taste blander now than before.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 7

• What do you mean by bland? Lacking salt/sugar/pepper or without any flavour at all?
    If it's the later then it's impossible to have great sense of smell and feel food lacking flavour, because flavour comes from smell, not tastebuds.
    If it's the former could be any kind of disease from candida to alzheimer.

0|0
    0|0
    • I've no diseases. I can still feel tastes - but the food don't taste as much as it used to. I'm high sensitive on smell, but my taste buds aren't that sensitive.

• What do you mean by bland? Lacking salt/sugar/pepper or without any flavour at all?
      If it's the later then it's impossible to have great sense of smell and feel food lacking flavour, because flavour comes from smell, not tastebuds.
      If it's the former could be any kind of disease from candida to alzheimer.

• I'm talking about the food having little flavor in general speaking, not only salt/sugar/pepper. With my sense of smell I can recognize which people (that I knows) have been in a room and I could probably recognize my family members too based on smell only without seeing or hearing them. I do notice smell in general speaking better than my friends. But I don't have any diseases and my sense of taste in not impressive.

• Well I don't know specifically what the situation is in your case but it is not unusual for people's tastebuds to change and become a bit less we strive as they age
    Children are often adverse to very strong flavours as it overwhelms their sensitive tastebuds as they grow up they they tolerate them better as they are less sensitive but they have also change as they can better comprehend complex flavours

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm going in reverse. My nose is completely done and my tastebuds are more sensitive than they used to be. I crave sweets more than before.

0|0
    0|0
  • You're just getting tired of eating the same food all the time. You just need to find something different to eat.

0|0
    0|0
  • Age? Sriracha! Also, eat whole garlic cloves. The girls will find u irrestible.

0|0
    0|0
  • No idea man. I'm sure there's an explanation of some sort but I have no idea what it is.

0|0
    0|0
  • Too many opinions in a short period of time?

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes