Why have my taste buds worsen? Scientific explanation?

The last few years my taste buds have become lesser sensitive and many food types tastes more bland now than what they did ca. three years ago. In addition I've become way pickier. Is there a scientific reason on why they gets worse and what can I do? Paradoxically I'm high sensitive on smells, yet my taste buds aren't very sensitive. No, I've no health problems. #TasteBuds

19

Most Helpful Guys

• You lose all your senses as you get older, except hopefully not your sense of humor.
    The average person is born with roughly 9,000 taste buds Each taste bud is a bundle of sensory cells, grouped together tightly. These taste buds cover the tongue and send taste signals to the brain through nerves. Taste buds vary in their sensitivity to different kinds of tastes. Some will be especially good at sensing sweetness, while others will be especially attune to bitter flavors, and so on.

When young, taste buds are good at regenerating; cells replace themselves every 1-2 weeks. (This ability for regeneration is why one recovers the ability to taste only a few days after burning the tongue on a hot beverage, for example.

Aging may change that ability. Though taste buds generally seem to be good at regenerating even with age, older taste buds are less adept at regenerating after injury. Also, some kinds of medication can interfere with taste. The amount of loss varies from one individual to another, but women generally report losing taste in their 50s and men in their 60s.

• As you age your tastebuds do change significantly.
    I've also noticed things tasting blander lately and that "favorite foods" are no longer favorites. I've also developed really bad reflux and can not longer eat things like tomato sauce or peanut butter without feeling like my stomach is melting.

• It's nice to hear I'm not the only one with this "problem". I don't like gelatin or frozen pizza anymore, but they were okay when I was a kid. Nowadays they're just a no.

• My specific condition is called G. E. R. D. (gastro esophageal reflux disease)

• I've no conditions. The only thing is that my taste buds have changed, are lesser sensitive and I don't like the same food anymore. I'm also pickier. Some foods taste blander now than before.