Would it be okay for me to be fasting?

So lately I have been studying Islam in school, and I really think the principle of fasting is a really kind and empathetic gesture. They do it to understand and respect the poor and the starved. I am turning eighteen in November, and I know my parents might not like the idea because of concerns regarding starving myself to be thinner or whatever. I was thinking maybe I could do it once a month or even less frequent. Should I be okay doing that? What do you think about fasting?

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• If you want to be kind an empathetic for the poor and the starved, do something to make the world a better place. Work in a soup kitchen or for a charitable association that benefits the needy. It's one thing to feel empathy, it's another thing to use that as a motivation to actually help others in need. Starving yourself won't accomplish any of those things.

Health-wise, fasting isn't good for you either. It taxes your system and the supposed benefits people "feel" only come when they start eating again because their bodies are getting energy and nutrition again. It can also even cause weight gain because it causes the body to go into starvation/survival mode, so when you start eating, your body compensates and stores calories as fat for survival, and it can even cause you to be hungrier and eat more when you start eating again.

If you already struggle with your weight a bit, this isn't a good way to lose weight. At all. Not for anyone. Losing weight should come from a change in your diet, more exercise and potion control. I know, because I did just that to lose 80 pounds around your age and have kept it off since.

But yeah, fasting is pointless in my opinion. You will never see long term success with it and it won't help make the world a better place. You seem you have a kind heart, so turn your empathy into action and help others around you in need. Not only will your feelings of empathy be fulfilled, you will be using it to make a real and tangible difference in this world.

Take care and all the best.

1|1
    0|0
  • "Velkommen til Islam, søster. Fra viking til fredens religion". Just had to tell a funny little viking joke. ^

I thinks it's up to you what you wants to do to your own body and you're old enough to decide by yourself. As long you're healthy, there's no need to worry. Most real Muslims who are fasting are following some safety rules. So only healthy people fasts. Pregnant women, women on the period, sick, elderly and the mentally ill don't have to fast. Most healthy Muslims don't get any health problems during the fasting month although they're only eating when it's dark outside. If they starts getting sick, they can break the fast and eat. They can start again the next day.

Actually, not only Muslims fasts. Christians, Buddhists, Hindus etc. also fasts.

2|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Fasting for me has really helped my digestion and reset my stomach. I didn't do it to loose weight, but just to do a clense. Just don't go too long with out food. It isn't very healthy to go 4 days with out eating. Maybe two at the most, but that is still a lot. Also if you think you are going to pass out and just feel terribly weak, please eat something and stay safe.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 11

• I think you should go for it, I myself fast sometimes during Ramadan, but I am a chef and I cook wonderful stuff daily and usually in the mid of food all day long, so I found it a bit difficult to fast regularly, but I try to fast whenever I can during the whole month, fasting is not only healthy in many ways it also makes you a better human no doubt it makes you realize your self-control over your false desires, it makes you realize the hunger the of poor and make you feel more generous and empathetic towards them, it also teaches you the value of food and why it should not be wasted as how much it is important to us, starving for a few days or even a month will not make you sick or weak if you follow the Islamic fasting procedure, even if you feel a bit weak you can recover very quickly once you start your normal meals. and there is one more very important thing which is a scientific research on fasting during Ramadan by a Japanese scientist, you can read about it on Google, according to that fasting for a whole month exactly like Muslims do in Ramadan can remove harmful free radicals and toxins from your body for whole year means you will never get any type of cancer in your whole life if you fast one month every year. you can read more about in medical journals and articles.
    www.healthline.com/health/fasting-and-cancer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws0mOmfC9EU

1|0
    0|0
  • On the one side i'm against the idea of fasting if it's because of an unhealthy body image, but it sounds like that's not the case. So i'd be for it, but is the point of fasting really to understand the poor? Doesn't it have a connection to god as well?

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes it does connect you to god as well but the main idea is to consider the poor. It's a part of their good deeds in life to reach salvation and reunite with god in heaven. My objective with fasting is not connected to religion. I've had my fair share of it. I want to do it because I would be paying my respects to starving people

• Then go for it ;)

• My sister tried it when she was a teen. She got sick and had to eat. My mom sometimes fasts. But it's always something specific. Like she'll cut out coffee or sugar for a week.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think that you shall remain healthy and eat enough food

1|0
    0|0
  • As a Christian I fast from time to time, but there are some different ways to fast. In Christianity, fasting is a way to draw close to God, not to try to "understand" the poor and needy. If you truly want to understand any people then spend time with them. Talk to them.

A "total" fast is nothing but water - and its not just during daylight.

The "strict" "Daniel" fast is basically giving up meat and "fancy" food for up to 40 days. It comes from the Book of Daniel where the Prophet refused to eat the meats because it had been sacrificed to a false god.

I know people who "fast" things besides food. One friend gave up the internet for a month. He came back to find an "in memory of" page dedicated to his life on Facebook because someone thought he must be dead to be so quiet!

One couple I know gave up sex for lent one year. They had a baby 9 months after Easter though...

Basically it's OK to fast depending on your reason to fast.

0|0
    0|0
  • You are converting to Islam!.
    Just notify me when you "Kubul Islam" so I I can remove my follow from you!

0|0
    3|0
  • Yes you can try it if you have no health issues , but don't force yourself much if you can't

1|0
    0|0
  • Fasting one or two days a week might even bring health benefits, also, many religions have fasting as a major concept but its cool you liked it

0|0
    0|0
  • Why not.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes you should be fine

1|0
    0|0
  • its scientifically proven to have health benefits

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• If you are healthy enough to do it - you can get good spiritual benefits from doing it - just remember - the bible says you have to do it in secret to get your full reward.

0|0
    0|0
  • Fasting for your Faith is Okay, bae, Just be Careful Here, dear. xxoo

1|0
    0|0
  • You should try it. I also fast sometimes. It's not really that difficult. And you feel really refreshed afterwards.

1|0
    0|0
    • I hate to disagree, but you only feel refreshed because your body is finally getting energy and nutrients when you start eating again. I can accidentally skip a meal because I get busy during the day and when I eat I feel the exact same thing. It's not because fasting is "cleansing", it's because your body goes into starvation and survival mode and when your body is finally given food, it perks up again, giving you the same feeling you mentioned.

As someone who struggled with a severe anxiety disorder for 6 years straight during a part of my life, I intimately know what fasting/starvation is and what it feels like when you start eating again. What you feel is simply the process of ATP at play, not any kind of "cleansing".

• Fasting can be good for you just dont overdue it

1|0
    0|0
  • Do lots of research first

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes