Would it be okay for me to be fasting?

So lately I have been studying Islam in school, and I really think the principle of fasting is a really kind and empathetic gesture. They do it to understand and respect the poor and the starved. I am turning eighteen in November, and I know my parents might not like the idea because of concerns regarding starving myself to be thinner or whatever. I was thinking maybe I could do it once a month or even less frequent. Should I be okay doing that? What do you think about fasting?

613

Most Helpful Guys

• If you want to be kind an empathetic for the poor and the starved, do something to make the world a better place. Work in a soup kitchen or for a charitable association that benefits the needy. It's one thing to feel empathy, it's another thing to use that as a motivation to actually help others in need. Starving yourself won't accomplish any of those things.

Health-wise, fasting isn't good for you either. It taxes your system and the supposed benefits people "feel" only come when they start eating again because their bodies are getting energy and nutrition again. It can also even cause weight gain because it causes the body to go into starvation/survival mode, so when you start eating, your body compensates and stores calories as fat for survival, and it can even cause you to be hungrier and eat more when you start eating again.

If you already struggle with your weight a bit, this isn't a good way to lose weight. At all. Not for anyone. Losing weight should come from a change in your diet, more exercise and potion control. I know, because I did just that to lose 80 pounds around your age and have kept it off since.

But yeah, fasting is pointless in my opinion. You will never see long term success with it and it won't help make the world a better place. You seem you have a kind heart, so turn your empathy into action and help others around you in need. Not only will your feelings of empathy be fulfilled, you will be using it to make a real and tangible difference in this world.

Take care and all the best.

• "Velkommen til Islam, søster. Fra viking til fredens religion". Just had to tell a funny little viking joke. ^

I thinks it's up to you what you wants to do to your own body and you're old enough to decide by yourself. As long you're healthy, there's no need to worry. Most real Muslims who are fasting are following some safety rules. So only healthy people fasts. Pregnant women, women on the period, sick, elderly and the mentally ill don't have to fast. Most healthy Muslims don't get any health problems during the fasting month although they're only eating when it's dark outside. If they starts getting sick, they can break the fast and eat. They can start again the next day.

Actually, not only Muslims fasts. Christians, Buddhists, Hindus etc. also fasts.

Most Helpful Girl

• Fasting for me has really helped my digestion and reset my stomach. I didn't do it to loose weight, but just to do a clense. Just don't go too long with out food. It isn't very healthy to go 4 days with out eating. Maybe two at the most, but that is still a lot. Also if you think you are going to pass out and just feel terribly weak, please eat something and stay safe.