Is anyone familiar with the Sous Vide cooking method?

I was at a dinner party recently and the chef cooked the meat with a sous vide immersion wand which was wifi and Bluetooth connected to his phone. It was perfectly delicious. I'm just curious if any of you have experience cooking this way and your thoughts. Thanks. <3
  • never heard of it
  • heard of it but have no experience
  • heard of it and have experience (comment below)
    Vote C

27

Most Helpful Guy

• Sous Vide cooking method is very beginner friendly. it's almost like using a crock pot in a way with the "set it and forget it" method. basically all you do is either get a ziplock bag or if you don't mind spending more money, you can get sous vide vacuum bags, drop your protein/meat in, add in your marinade or seasonings, suck out all the air and toss it in the fridge overnight. the next morning you get a bucket of water. usually when you purchase one, it'll have a temperature, doneness, and timer guide for you to follow which for the type meat you're using it for. then set the sous vide device, program it to the choice of meat, set timer, drop in the vacuum bag when the device says the temperature is ready and that's it.

if you're going to use the ziplock bags, then the best method to remove all the air is to submerge the bottom portion of bag into the water and zip it up. when you press the ziplock bag under the water, the pressure from the water will push out from the bag. but just make sure the opening of the bag doesn't get submerged too or the water will go in the bag and ruin the marinade or seasoning flavor.

• Thanks for this! Do you reuse the bags or are they one and done?

• Space is a big problem for me. I have a tiny tiny kitchen. So I’m looking at getting this one that’s much smaller than the others
      ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide, 1100 Watts, All White www.amazon.com/.../ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_rNqYBb5P9S3QC

• that's still okay, should still be able to make enough to feed 2-4 people at once. it looks really sleek and modern too!

Most Helpful Girl

• My cousin does this and swears by it. But he doesn't have the fancy WiFi gizmo. That part seems like a gimmick to me.