Is anyone familiar with the Sous Vide cooking method?

I was at a dinner party recently and the chef cooked the meat with a sous vide immersion wand which was wifi and Bluetooth connected to his phone. It was perfectly delicious. I'm just curious if any of you have experience cooking this way and your thoughts. Thanks. <3
  • never heard of it
    Vote A
  • heard of it but have no experience
    Vote B
  • heard of it and have experience (comment below)
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Sous Vide cooking method is very beginner friendly. it's almost like using a crock pot in a way with the "set it and forget it" method. basically all you do is either get a ziplock bag or if you don't mind spending more money, you can get sous vide vacuum bags, drop your protein/meat in, add in your marinade or seasonings, suck out all the air and toss it in the fridge overnight. the next morning you get a bucket of water. usually when you purchase one, it'll have a temperature, doneness, and timer guide for you to follow which for the type meat you're using it for. then set the sous vide device, program it to the choice of meat, set timer, drop in the vacuum bag when the device says the temperature is ready and that's it.

if you're going to use the ziplock bags, then the best method to remove all the air is to submerge the bottom portion of bag into the water and zip it up. when you press the ziplock bag under the water, the pressure from the water will push out from the bag. but just make sure the opening of the bag doesn't get submerged too or the water will go in the bag and ruin the marinade or seasoning flavor.

1|0
    0|0
    • Thanks for this! Do you reuse the bags or are they one and done?

• Show All
    • Space is a big problem for me. I have a tiny tiny kitchen. So I’m looking at getting this one that’s much smaller than the others
      ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide, 1100 Watts, All White www.amazon.com/.../ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_rNqYBb5P9S3QC

• that's still okay, should still be able to make enough to feed 2-4 people at once. it looks really sleek and modern too!

Most Helpful Girl

• My cousin does this and swears by it. But he doesn't have the fancy WiFi gizmo. That part seems like a gimmick to me.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 6

• It's perfect if you want your steak the same 'temperature' all the way through. But you're going to miss the flavors and textures produced by the Maillard reaction from the grill or open flame (which I prefer).

1|0
    0|0
    • What thie chef at my party did was “cook” them with the sous vide then he seared the outside on a hot cast iron pan. Soo good!

• Nope, I feel that takes something away from the art of cooking

1|0
    0|0
    • apparently top Michelin-star chefs at fancy restaurants use this method to create perfect meals every time.

• My buddy makes perfect steaks, pork chops, you name it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Perfect steak every time even when you have to wait for your side dishes to finish.

1|0
    0|0
  • That's new to me. If I had to chose I rather cook my own food.

1|0
    0|0
  • I haven't heard of this, but I'll look it up.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• I voted A. But it sounds fascinating.

1|0
    0|0
    • It really was. he put raw steaks in a zip lock bag with some seasoning and dropped them in a pot of water with the wand thing in it and it heated the water to the perfect temperature x amount of time all set on the app for medium rare steaks. there was no guessing or cutting into the food to see if it was done

• That's awesome!!

Recommended myTakes