How do you get rid of sitophilus oryzae?

I bought a bag of rice last year but we seldom use it, I think that is enough to eat 4 years.
Now there are a lot of sitophilus oryzae, how do you get rid of it?
and now I realize why do they use it to blame people who are useless-Sponger

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

• Unfortunately they recommend that you eliminate all products that could attract weevils, and making sure you thoroughly clean the surrounding of your storage unit will be the first steps. Also throw out any items that the weevils have infested.

Weevils can chew through plastic or cardboard, so the best containers to use are glass or metal ones, with tight closing lids.

In order to avoid having products infested with weevils, you can place dry bay leafs inside the containers as their smell will discourage the weevils, but won’t change the quality or taste of your products. Another way of making sure weevils do not get the chance of developing is by using the products you bought as soon as possible. Buy them in small quantities and use them within the first month of purchase, as afterwards, chances of weevil infestation grow bigger. Other natural products such as cloves can be spread through your pantry and places on shelves, near your containers. Their smell will deter weevils and keep your grains safe, and the same will happen if you place an open matchbox near your products. The sulphur smell will keep the pests away, while not affecting the taste or smell of your food.

I really like the natural approach instead of using chemicals that could get into your food. Best wishes.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 1

• Place sticky traps
    when you pour rice from jar to some tray, the weevils tend to move outside. What you have to do is place the traps around the edges of the dish or bowl. When the insects try to run out of the utensil, they will automatically stick to the trap. These pests are not vigorous enough to free themselves from the trap. Hence they will die sticking to the trap.

2. Pour a pot of boiling water
    The other way through which you can remove rice weevils is by pouring the hot water on the rice. Running boiling water over the rice will kill all the weevils and the eggs. The dead will start floating on the surface of the bowl, and you can easily remove them.
    Freeze rice for at least one week to kill eggs
    Freezing the rice will serve the same purpose as pouring hot water or heating. If you do not have enough space in your freezer, then place in small quantities every week and freeze them for a week so that there will be no more eggs or weevils in the rice.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes