What would you do if someone invites you over for dinner and every dish they made tasted bland/terrible?

Would you still eat it and lie to them when they ask you if you like the food? Or would you be honest with them?

What would you do if someone invites you over for dinner and every dish they made tasted bland/terrible?
Updates:
I just can't tell anyone I disliked it since they have put so much hard work.. spent houra to cook. I just couldn't tell them. I only tell someone I didn't like their food only if they are very close to me and know they won't get hurt.

0|4

Most Helpful Guys

• Usually I'm not so picky about food, but I did have one experience like this. I was dating a Russian girl who invited me to her home and she made me a very strange kind of egg dish. I don't know what it was but it tasted like the eggs were kind of spoiled and pickled or something -- like super, super strong egg taste. And she made a whole tray of those eggs. She could eat a lot (was very athletic as an acrobat).

But I tried to eat my half of the tray and I was actually feeling nauseous. I had to excuse myself and go to the bathroom and vomit after almost finishing my half. Then I finished the rest after vomiting.

1|0
    0|0
    • If you ever smelled sulfur, it tastes and smelled like that to me, only amplified a great deal.

• Show All
    • The serving sizes were enormous as well. She was extremely athletic and spent all her time training for her aerial performance. But because of that she could eat like a monster. That tray with the pickled eggs or whatever it was had, IIRC, 24 eggs on it and we both ate 12 of them.

• Honest, Iโ€™d offer to help in the kitchen and try to save the food ๐Ÿ˜‚

1|0
    0|0
    • LOL!!! I like it! That's a good idea. I'll try doing that next time ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Show All
    • Thank you for mho ๐Ÿ˜Š

Hope you now know how to handle bad food ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Yes, now I do! So, Thank you!! You saved me from eating bad food ๐Ÿ˜‚

You are welcome :)

Most Helpful Girls

• I had my graduation party catered by my mom friend. That food was so nasty and blavd. I was so pissed off and embarrassed so I said very loud โ€œthis food doesnโ€™t taste goodโ€ then when she came in the kitchen she saw me putting it back in the oven cause it wasnโ€™t cooked enough and she saw me putting seasoning on it. My point is Iโ€™m not afraid to tell someone if something is bad so either they can try to improve or just not serve it again. If I was invited to someoneโ€™s lovely home and everything I tried was nasty then I wouldnโ€™t tell them anything unless they asked me how it tasted.

1|0
    0|0
    • I wish I wasn't afraid to tell them! But I just keep my mouth shut or lie because I didn't want to hurt them but you are right. They can either improve or shouldn't serve it again.

• Thereโ€™s nothing wrong with constructive criticism

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 30

• Iโ€™d secretly message my friend under the table and tell them to call me so that I can pretend to leave for an emergency. Iโ€™d tell them if I could take the food to go, and then throw it away when the coast is clear

1|2
    0|0
  • A buddhist idea is that you should eat whatever food is placed in front you.

A sad story. A missionary once went to the Middle East. The two friends he knew there decided to treat him to a meal at a restaurant. When the food arrived, there were cockroaches in it. The missionary said, "I can't eat this." The other men started crying. "This is the best we have!" I think I'd eat my cockroaches and be grateful.

1|0
    0|0
    • I am Buddhist... But I wouldn't eat unsual stuff
      . But I do try to finish any normal food that my lobed ones cooked for me even if it doesn't taste good. ๐Ÿ˜…

• Fake a heart attack after taking the first bite, than ask to be excused.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well if it's something I'm familiar with I might joke around. Or just let them know it could use a little more seasoning.

If it's something I'm not familiar with then I might just say it's different. Cause who knows maybe it's supposed to taste bland.

1|0
    0|0
  • My friend boiled salmon in cow's milk.
    I told him that's not how you cook salmon.
    We're still friends.

1|1
    0|0
  • Some years ago I was in Manchester visiting my head office. My seniors took me out to dinner at an Italian restaurant.

I am a vegetarian so they ordered some dishes just for me but the food was so bland and tastless. Still I had to eat it to be polite and pretend to like it. I didn't want them feel bad about my experience. Luckily I had some good Italian wine to wash it all down lol.

1|0
    0|0
  • Actually once it happend wid me. I went to my maternal Aunts home and my sister cooked some food and made capsicum with gravy. And she served me. I thought dat it might b delicious as it's appearance was upto the mark. But d moment I took 1 bite I went in washroom spitting all food stuff. As it was too spicy for me to swallow. Dn I scolded her to cook dat again lolzzz. And we made Maggie after dat. I can't forget dat moment. Thanks for posting this questn as it refreshed my old memo.

1|0
    0|0
    • OMG, hahaha. She must have been so. embarrassed ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜‚
      Ah, the good ol' maggie.. always comes to the rescue lol.
      Awww, you are welcome :)

• Show All
    • My pleasure. Snacks and soft drinks plus dat anxiety level at each and every moment makes d movie amazing. ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Omg, yessssssss!

• Eat some talk no bad of them. The food might be bad but his/her intention of befriending and socializing must be taken in consideration rather than whole scenario

1|0
    0|0
  • Oh hell no i can't do none of that. I love food way to much if you can't cook that'll be the first and last time im at your place and if not then ill always be full when i get there

1|0
    0|0
    • LOL!!! The way you said Oh, hell no.. Cracked me up๐Ÿ˜‚

"I can't do none of that. I love food way to much if you can't cook that'll be the first and last time im at your place and if not then ill always be full when i get there"
      I love your answer! Thank you for sharing.

• Haha anytime its my plessure๐Ÿ™‚

• That always sucks. I really hate it when people invite you over with like 1 thing to eat... makes things kind of awkward. That's why I like hosting such things.

1|0
    0|0
  • Add hot sauce or other spices to the dish. If that doesn't work I guess pour the whole bottle on the dish. Make it look like a volcano just erupted all over the food.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would try to eat it, if I couldn't I'd just tell them I don't like this dish, not because you made it but because I generally don't like it

1|1
    0|0
    • That's nice. This way.. They won't get hurt :)

• It's happened before even with my mother and she is a great cook

• Exactly. Everyone makes mistakes even great cooks from time to time.. It happens :)

• I would be honest and try to give feedback and encouragement on how to improve

1|0
    0|0
  • I still eat it but will learn from my lesson to bring my own
    covered dish the next time.

1|1
    0|0
  • I feel the same way, but at the same time, I can't force myself to eat something that doesn't taste good or risks making me sick. I probably wouldn't eat it because of my gag reflex. Plus, it's pretty easy to tell when someone doesbt like it.

This happened in Taiwan. Our guide took us to this fancy restaurant and they served is clams and steamed shrimp, and my mom nearly vomited and there was no way I was touching it either.
    If it's in a setting like that I just walk out. I'll never see the person again so I don't care.

With a person you know it's a lot more difficult. I've done that before. I was just a kid. My neighbor got offended that I didn't like his wife's chili. I just thought, whatever, he'll get over it.

1|0
    0|0
    • Did he get over it, though?

• Show All
    • Wth? Ugh, disgusting. She should have left that abusive jerk.

• I don't know why she stayed with him.
      Anyways, he's dead now.

• Be honest and say them that their food taste like shit

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd still eat it... and if it's really that bad then I'll pretend to feel sick ๐Ÿ˜‚

1|0
    0|0
  • Always keep a little pouch of masaala powder handy in your handbag. Seriously.

1|0
    0|0
    • Good idea ๐Ÿ˜

• Show All
    • I had to say I use herbal perfumes. ๐Ÿ˜•

• I have never used those! But it sounds interesting. I will try it one day x)

• Well I would be polite and try and eat as much as can

I would definitely avoid any further invitations ๐Ÿ˜†

1|0
    0|0
  • Refuse to pay for it!

1|0
    0|0
  • Iโ€™ll never spoil my health. But will just taste a little. Coz I wonโ€™t break his/her heart. Did you get me sweetheart?

0|0
    0|0
    • Genie23, will you call or text me at +919168888691. This is Vivek from Pune. Hope u remember.

• I would be polite and try to eat it

1|0
    0|0
    • Samr here! I would try to eat it, but I start feeling sick later :/

• Barbecue sauce makes everything good.

1|0
    0|1
    • True. But what if someone has put too much salt or chillies in the food? ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜‚

• Show All
    • Awesome. When can I come over? I'm hungry. ๐Ÿ‘

• You can come over on weekends. Hope you like Indian food as I haven't yet mastered the skill to cook Non- Indian dishes, lol

• i would lie to them and say it was awesome

1|0
    0|0
  • Make suggestions.

1|0
    0|0
    • Nice. :)

• Or you can carry spices in your purse and add them to the food while he is not looking.
      But most of the time the cook will ask you, how did you like it. Then you were going to say it was good but,, then you make your suggestion

• That's a good idea!

• please tell otherwise it won't get better.

1|0
    0|0
  • Ask what happen to seasoning

1|0
    0|0
  • I would keep quite

1|0
    0|0
  • Still eat it but tell them to add more spice

1|0
    0|0
  • If they ask then I tell the truth

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 13

• seeing as I like to know if what I do is alright then I'm the kind of person who will tell them, however its not what you say more how you say,
    I. E. do you really like this, I kind of think it need tasting up a bit,
    then if they are happy with what has been said suggestions can be called
    being a bit tactful can quite often result in improvements.
    like being in a restaurant only a bit different

1|0
    0|0
    • "Its not what you say more how you say"
      I completely agree with you! How you say makes a lot of difference. If you say it politely and offer suggestion, they wouldn't get hurt and they would try to improve.

Thank you for sharing your opinion :)

• your more than welcome, but that is just me

• It really depends on the person. If itโ€™s someone Iโ€™m very close with, Iโ€™d kindly let them know just so I donโ€™t have to go through it again. If Iโ€™m not close with the person and probably wonโ€™t be having dinner with them again, then Iโ€™d just suck it up.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would say thank you, and eat as much as i can, then tell them i wasn't that hungry as i would eat just a little bit... i would lie... but i would say that the food isn't really my favorite, so i dont get thesame again if they invite me.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd just finish first helping they served me and pretend to be full.

I'd never ever ever tell them that I didn't like the food they made.

Only if they're close ones maybe.

1|0
    0|0
    • My friends keeps serving the food over and over again until I hold my stomach and say, Please.. I can't anymore, lol. I puked later ๐Ÿ™„

Same here. I can only tell my best friend and family

• I wouldn't eat much saying I'm not hungry. Then I'd go out to have something after having left their house. That's a honest opinion.

1|0
    0|0
  • Iโ€™d offer and bring a side dish or appetizer so those who canโ€™t eat the terrible food will at least be satiated.

1|0
    0|0
  • โ€œOh, shit. Sorry, I forgot to tell you Iโ€™m vegan with a long list of allergies.โ€

1|0
    0|0
    • LMHO! That's very Smart!!! Thanks for the idea ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚

• Smile be polite and be happy knowing that someone made it meal for you and wanted to share it with you

1|0
    0|0
  • Will pretend those are all good so that friend won't disappointed lol

1|0
    0|0
  • I probably start laughing

1|0
    0|0
  • Try to be polite

1|0
    0|0
  • Ask for salt and pepper.