I've been eating kitchen sponges and couch cushions for 13 years now?

And I've stopped for almost a month a few months back, now when I started again my stomach would hurt so much especially at night. It feels as if I had an open wound on my stomach. Do you think my stomach is damaged? And please don't suggest me to go to the doctor, if I haven't in 13 years I most likely will not now. Thank you

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I watched a documentary on this before. The condition is called Pica, I believe. You might want to read up on it:
    www.webmd.com/mental-health/mental-health-pica#1

I'm afraid I'm no expert on what the long-term consequences are for eating such things, but I did find these two things related to Pica:

>> You can eat sponge and you can digest it because after a couple minutes of chewing it, it deteriorates in your mouth and then you can swallow it. If you are eating sponge, you have a disorder called Pica. It occurs mostly with people who have anemia (iron deficiency).

There's also this on couch cushions:
    www.odditycentral.com/.../...de-sofa-cushions.html

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Feels like you have an open wound... so why would I not suggest going to the doctor? You can't just wish that away. You could have very likely caused a rip in your stomach lining. Which could lead to your death.
    Thing is, going to get checked out doesn't mean you can keep doing your unhealthy eating. Which is a psychological issue that you are choosing to not deal with but should. At the hospital they will figure out if you have really injured yourself, most likely suggest therapy, but they can't make you go.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 2

• so your soft food diet's going well then?

anyways jokes aside you may just wanna get checked out cos sponges and such don't get digested and would be blocking up your stomach to a degree that could prove fatal so you would have 2 choices

1) seek medical attention from hospital and have a chance of surviving

2) dont seek medical attention, ignore it and have lasting and progressively worsening damage to your stomach which could result in death...

either way the choice is ultimately yours but I know from what I have read that this sort of thing if i recall correctly is classed as a medical condition anyway... as the urge to eat things which aren't edible while can be varied it is not unheard of, but is classed as involuntary... resulting in damage to organs and such over time...
    the damage to your stomach can be quite slow for a certain point but at some point could itself increase as you got older as the older you get the less likely it is able to heal itself as fast the older you get... so if you seek medical attention sooner you have a better chance for a much faster healing process

0|0
    0|0
  • okay cool. your not human congrats!

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

Recommended myTakes