I've been eating kitchen sponges and couch cushions for 13 years now?

And I've stopped for almost a month a few months back, now when I started again my stomach would hurt so much especially at night. It feels as if I had an open wound on my stomach. Do you think my stomach is damaged? And please don't suggest me to go to the doctor, if I haven't in 13 years I most likely will not now. Thank you

23

Most Helpful Guy

• I watched a documentary on this before. The condition is called Pica, I believe. You might want to read up on it:
    www.webmd.com/mental-health/mental-health-pica#1

I'm afraid I'm no expert on what the long-term consequences are for eating such things, but I did find these two things related to Pica:

>> You can eat sponge and you can digest it because after a couple minutes of chewing it, it deteriorates in your mouth and then you can swallow it. If you are eating sponge, you have a disorder called Pica. It occurs mostly with people who have anemia (iron deficiency).

There's also this on couch cushions:
    www.odditycentral.com/.../...de-sofa-cushions.html

Most Helpful Girl

• Feels like you have an open wound... so why would I not suggest going to the doctor? You can't just wish that away. You could have very likely caused a rip in your stomach lining. Which could lead to your death.
    Thing is, going to get checked out doesn't mean you can keep doing your unhealthy eating. Which is a psychological issue that you are choosing to not deal with but should. At the hospital they will figure out if you have really injured yourself, most likely suggest therapy, but they can't make you go.