Would you ever Consider giving up Thanksgiving for a Day to Help out a Homeless shelter in Serving Holiday meals?

0|3

Most Helpful Guys

• My wife and I often help out at our local homeless shelter regardless of holidays. People get charitable at chistmas and Thanksgiving but the problem is that's only two days and there are 363 more in the year.

2|0
    0|0
    • Happy you Found the Time though. xx

• Funny thing is at our local shelter at Thanksgiving and Christmas it's fully staffed and a fight for places for people who want to do good on the holidays so we don't bother unless asked.

• lol Fully staffed? This is New, you. xxoo

• I think helping out at a homeless shelter serving holiday meals
    is a great thing that anyone could do just watching the smile or
    look on one of the homeless peoples face when they are served
    their meal is heart touching. There is so many people out there
    who won't have a meal this Thanksgiving unless they go to the
    shelter yes this sounds like a wonderful acts of kindness that
    anyone could do. It makes me wanna cry just to see them poor
    people than again I'm happy knowing I'm feeding them a meal
    and making their day so much brighter. Thanks for your question xx

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I'm of two minds since I know a lot of people are homeless by their own designs in one form or another. But then I've heard of some people who were fine then made redundant and couldn't find anything else which is something I can sympathize with and be sorry for.
    As for would I got to these soup kitchens, I find they're all in bad area's which is obvious, since that'll have more homeless but means there's a lot more crimes I've heard of so many muggings and stabbings near these areas over the years it's ridiculous, so would I do one no I wouldn't.

Instead I donate to charity when it's the fall festivals and the Shopping trolleys in supermarkets for tins etc and charity shops all old but useable clothes, toys and books.
    Lastly I don't do Thanksgiving so that day wouldn't bother me, but if I translated it to Christmas I couldn't give the day up, it's such a magical time of the year that I just couldn't bear it.

1|0
    0|0
    • You are Amazing, Magic, I Knew I could Count on You. xx

• I always try to be honest, but don't really do much politics I think the only reason I have half a mind of what happens across the pond is cus of you hun.

Just do whatever you feel comfortable doing don't feel forced to do something because you feel that your in a better position of life, do it cus you want to. I know I was on a night out with some friends and gave this homeless guy some chips and a can of drink just to get shouted at saying I don't want any fucking chips. I just went okay and continued walking, there are some people who don't want to be helped in this world so if you meet anyone like that, don't ever let it bring you down your wonderful Paris

• Love you, Magic and God Bless this Yea, dear. xxoo

• Yes. I give up my Christmas and new years, to help out at soup kitchens. Every year with family.

1|0
    0|0
    • Ahhh, Soup Kitchen, That is what I have to look under.
      Beautiful, sweetie, God bless. We need more Hearts in this World like you. xxoo

• Show All
    • Thank you. You are amazing yourself Ms. Paris, this the first question on gag that made me smile. I love the holidays and know I know why. Up until today I was planning on deleting my gag account as it seem to just be the same thing being asked over and over. Yet because of this post I actually believe in gag again thank you. I've only been here a month, but this is the first post that has actually warmed my heart. Thank you.

• Thank you, sweetheart, You have a Beautiful Heart. xxoo

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 23

• Depends. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here, but helping in an homeless shelter...
    That wouldn't go well here. Because that kind of stuff is always full of drunk people, fights, ungrateful people, or even leeches who don't need it but come because it's free. Not to mention that I'd have to feed illegal immigrants, and I'm against it.

1|0
    1|0
    • You would have to bring them into it but there are many Iegals I would Feed wo are down on their Luck.
      Of course Id I Encountered Anyone, hun, Down on their Luck, Legal or Not, Giver them Three meals and a Hot and a Cot. xx

• I do at my church, have been for the last ten years. No family left living close to me and my wife has been gone as long. There are always new and exciting people with many wonderful and sometimes tragic tales, and in the end it makes me feel good to help. My least favorite holiday is Christmas but that is another tale.

1|0
    0|0
    • It reminds me of the "Three Bears" But with a happier Tale.
      Keep up Your God Good Works, bae. xx

• Thank you dear lady, I would never give up the chance to use my culinary skills in the pursuit of making another happy.

• I thank you, Kind sir. xx

• Yeah, I'd be willing to do that, although I haven't actually been able to celebrate a Thanksgiving since 2005.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am not doing this year but I have done it in the past. This year I am giving all the food needed for a Thanksgiving dinner to a family I know that really needs some cheering up.

1|0
    0|0
  • UK here, we don't have Thanksgiving. You're not really giving anything up by helping other people though, are you?

1|0
    0|0
  • Back in college I went to my cafeteria which was unlimited food with my plan. I cleared out the whole thing towards the end of dinner with a couple friends. We took all of the food over to a place where all the homeless sleep. Today I gave a $20 to a homeless guy if that counts. I always try and talk to them first, and feel them out. If they’re tweakers who are crazy and weird then I’m most likely not going to give them a fucking dime. If they’re genuinely down on their luck and trying to get back out there, then I’ll help them out. I’m fortunate enough to have accumulated a lot of wealth at such a young age and I do like to give back because I grew up pretty broke and know both sides.

2|0
    0|0
    • Beautiful, bae!!! I always try to Give to the Needy and know how it feels. I also find it a Pity that The Health Department doesn't Let your Restaurants Carry out all of the Thrown Out food that is left from that Day. xx

• Not the actual day of Thanksgiving because I want to spend that with people I care about but I would help out there on different days

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure. I don't normally celebrate Thanksgiving anyways.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't celebrate Thanksgiving but I would happily give up any holiday to help a homeless shelter.

1|0
    0|0
  • Considering Thanksgiving is not an existing there... Who cares?

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure. At least if I had no special relatives coming over.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes I have at Rescue Mission before grand children came

1|0
    0|0
  • No cuz my relatives are getting old an mite not be here after the holidays my real old 1s

1|0
    0|0
  • Of course i will. As after these many years i have lost interests in celebration of any festival. (we don't celebrate thanks giving day because people here don't know what is it).

I don't fly kites on Makarasankranti.

I don't fire crackers on Diwali.

I don't play with colors on Holi.

I just fulfill the formalities of the festivals to keep my relatives happy. So now i feel like festivals are nothing special.

Giving up these days would be not difficult for me. Serving homeless would be choice for me.

1|0
    0|0
  • No reason you can't have both and do both.

2|0
    0|0
  • I've always wanted to try, never done it before

1|0
    0|0
  • I would

1|0
    0|0
  • I would consider it

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope never.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure. I don't do Thanksgiving anyways

1|0
    0|0
    • lol My Grandma died on this Day and Hated it Anyways. xx

• My sympathies for your loss. Have a good day in her honor if possible.

• Thank you, love, follow me on this Next Bigger Question I posted about No Grandma's Will. xx

• Honestly no

1|0
    0|0
  • i couldn't if i wanted to

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 13

• We already give up part of our Thanksgiving and Christmas through volunteering to help out at a local mission which helps the homeless. I was raised with this as part of the holidays, my parents instilled the importance of giving back to our community at an early age. My Mom and Dad started this tradition shortly after they started dating in college. As college students they couldn't afford to donate cash but could afford the gift of time which they have continued to this day. My husband and I have decided this is an important family tradition to continue, he used to come with our family and I when he was really young (and my bestest friend ever) he's still my best friend and we will continue volunteering as long as we are able to.

Normally we drive an hour each way, volunteer with whatever job we are assigned to for 2 - 3 hours, then we return home and celebrate our holiday as a family. In the whole scope of things, it isn't that much to give yet it helps those people who need it the most when they need it. a

1|0
    0|0
    • That's amazing and God Bless you and your Wonderful Family. xx

• Heck yeah, I've been always Thankful for what I have so why not help someone who really needs it. Itll be a blessing.

1|0
    0|0
  • We don't have Thanksgiving here so its not like I am missing on sth
    if I have to choose, yeah I would give up

1|0
    0|0
    • But I think you should do such things in regular days too, not remember about the people in need only on holidays

• Ohhh, absolutely, I agree, anmari xx

• I've done this a few times when I was in youth group.

1|0
    0|0
  • No cos we don’t have Thanksgiving really in the U. K. x

1|0
    0|0
  • I am into doing this next week, Paris. I would rather help dish out food than eat it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I tried it a few times. For the most part it went unappreciated.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I would

1|0
    0|0
  • shoresss I don't live in America

1|0
    0|0
  • sure i would! why not right lad?

1|0
    0|0
  • I would

1|0
    0|0
  • Not part of my culture
    But I get helping everyday

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm not celebrating Thanksgiving, so of course.
    And if I did, I wouldn't mind.

1|0
    0|0
    • I have Considered Looking for one in my New area I Live in. xx

Recommended myTakes