Do you drink Scotch? Can you recommend a bottle at a good price?

So I'm on vacation and building a little garage bar, I have a small party on Friday and I'm hosting a few Christmas things, so I'm stocking up fast. I go to the liquor store and they had little testers of scotch, I was just wow! Was sooo good! Sadly, the bottle was just over $100.00 on sale... and I still needed hard cocktail ingredients, so i bought a less expensive one for about $35.00 which in the States is like spending ($15.00 cuz our liquor prices are stupid in Canada.) Anyways, It was digusting... I'll never drink or serve this Label 5" brand. If there's anyone who has experience here who has any suggestions I'd be grateful. Do you drink Scotch? Can you recommend a bottle at a good price?

17

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guys

• Well as a Canadian I can talk Canadian alcohol prices.

I don’t find any scotch below say Jonny walker black drinkable. I don’t really enjoy any Scotch till closer to $100: I really like Balvenie Doublewood which is $95. The basic glenlivett or glenmorangie are both solid at around $70.

The end result is I barely drink scotch. Now I’m not that obsessed with smoke in my whiskey which helps. So I drink almost every other type of whiskey more.

Irish which are like non Smokey but similar otherwise: a basic Jameson is tasty where scotch in that price range is pretty vile to me.

Canadian whiskeys I drink the most - where premium ones are still pretty cheap. Recently I’ve gone through the Canadian club small batch 12 year old, CC chairman reserve pure rye, gooderham & worts 4 grain etc.

I like American as well, especially woodford reserve.

I keep a little

• That's great thanks man.. i have a bottle of Jameson irish whisky, haven't cracked it yet. Thanks again. I did see a bottle of Ron Burgundy scotch for 30.00 I'll buy that too as a little fun to look at treat.
      Cheers mate.

• Wow that scotch is awful pale, it couldn't of been aged very long. It depends on your preference for scotch, do you like a smoky flavour or a sweeter scotch, a single malt or a blended? Personally I like Glenlivet which is a single malt, they have various aged from 12 years and up, obviously the older the more expensive. I don't care for Johnnie Walker but I'd make an exception with Johnnie Walker Green Label. For a reasonable priced scotch Whyte & Mackay is quite good and Famous Grouse is prettty good.

• I've had Monkey Shoulder before and for a blended malt scotch it's not bad for $65.00/750 ml bottle at the LCBO. Whyte & Mackay is only about $26.00/750 ml. bottle.