Do you drink Scotch? Can you recommend a bottle at a good price?

So I'm on vacation and building a little garage bar, I have a small party on Friday and I'm hosting a few Christmas things, so I'm stocking up fast. I go to the liquor store and they had little testers of scotch, I was just wow! Was sooo good! Sadly, the bottle was just over $100.00 on sale... and I still needed hard cocktail ingredients, so i bought a less expensive one for about $35.00 which in the States is like spending ($15.00 cuz our liquor prices are stupid in Canada.) Anyways, It was digusting... I'll never drink or serve this Label 5" brand. If there's anyone who has experience here who has any suggestions I'd be grateful. Do you drink Scotch? Can you recommend a bottle at a good price?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guys

• Well as a Canadian I can talk Canadian alcohol prices.

I don’t find any scotch below say Jonny walker black drinkable. I don’t really enjoy any Scotch till closer to $100: I really like Balvenie Doublewood which is $95. The basic glenlivett or glenmorangie are both solid at around $70.

The end result is I barely drink scotch. Now I’m not that obsessed with smoke in my whiskey which helps. So I drink almost every other type of whiskey more.

Irish which are like non Smokey but similar otherwise: a basic Jameson is tasty where scotch in that price range is pretty vile to me.

Canadian whiskeys I drink the most - where premium ones are still pretty cheap. Recently I’ve gone through the Canadian club small batch 12 year old, CC chairman reserve pure rye, gooderham & worts 4 grain etc.

I like American as well, especially woodford reserve.

I keep a little

0|1
    0|0
    • That's great thanks man.. i have a bottle of Jameson irish whisky, haven't cracked it yet. Thanks again. I did see a bottle of Ron Burgundy scotch for 30.00 I'll buy that too as a little fun to look at treat.
      Cheers mate.

• Wow that scotch is awful pale, it couldn't of been aged very long. It depends on your preference for scotch, do you like a smoky flavour or a sweeter scotch, a single malt or a blended? Personally I like Glenlivet which is a single malt, they have various aged from 12 years and up, obviously the older the more expensive. I don't care for Johnnie Walker but I'd make an exception with Johnnie Walker Green Label. For a reasonable priced scotch Whyte & Mackay is quite good and Famous Grouse is prettty good.

0|1
    0|0
    • I've had Monkey Shoulder before and for a blended malt scotch it's not bad for $65.00/750 ml bottle at the LCBO. Whyte & Mackay is only about $26.00/750 ml. bottle.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Guys Said 5

• Ledaig 10y, Laphroaig 10y and Glenmorangie Lasanta are typically considered the best bottles by most people as far as price/rating and availability ratio is concerned.
    I imagine that they would go for about $50 in your region.
    The 12 year bottles from Macallan, Aberlour and Glen Grant are also very popular and not significantly more expensive.

And then there is of course Lagavulin 16y and Ardbeg Corryvreckan/Uigeadail, often times considered the best of the best (at around $100 a bottle) but also "too mainstream" because of how popular they are.

0|1
    0|0
    • Wow... thank you, I actually saw Glenn Grant at the store. This was really helpful, even screen shot it for reference. Cheers!

• Try it at a bar first before you buy a whole bottle. Ask the bartender what he likes for around $10 or $20.

0|1
    0|0
  • Glen Fiddich, or Glen Morangie are good. Jura is even better.

0|1
    0|0
  • Monkey Shoulder. Around $35

0|1
    0|0
  • Johnnie Walker

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes