Boiling with our without a lid?

It tends to boil over when I use the lid, should I stop using a lid while boiling pasta or potatoes?Boiling with our without a lid?

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I heat the water to a boil with a lid, because it's more energy efficient and faster, but I take the lid partly off once the water is boiling, because like you said, it tends to boil over with the lid on.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• No, just tilt the lid to one side. Having the lid on saves energy.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 8

• Boil the water with the lid on because it's a lot faster. Once you put the pasta in put the lid back on but crack it. That will stop it from making a mess, just make sure you pay attention to it.

0|1
    0|0
  • Leave the lit half on the pan and turn the button one number lower (that’s what I do), but be sure the water stays boiling

0|1
    0|0
  • I never use a lid for boiling potatoes or pastas. For pasta i boil the water first, then add the pasta, and stir it twice during the 15 minutes, then its done. No mess and for me its done perfectly. Potatoes i cut it in little pieces, then put it in a pot fill it up with water, boil it for 20 minutes, then i check it with a fork and if the potatoe cut easily it means its done if not, then add 5 more minute. That is what i would do, but everyone has their own way of cooking, and this is my way of cooking. 😊

0|1
    0|0
  • Leave off the lid for spaghetti so you can keep stirring it and getting it just perfect around 8 minutes later.

0|1
    0|0
  • Put the lid on half way, so the air can escape and it won't boil over. And turn the heat down. Or use a bigger pan.

0|0
    0|0
  • I never use a lid with any type of pasta.

0|1
    0|0
  • With and add salt to make it boil faster

0|0
    0|0
  • I’ve never used a lid

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• You don't need the lid.
    It's going to take like what? 6-9 minutes? Depending on the pasta you're cooking. Putting the lid on is not going to decrease that significantly, and the water will only start foaming due to the starch in the pasta and then all of that lovely foam will spill out and end up your stove top which you will then have to clean up later, which is a pain in the arse no matter the type of stove top you're using.

Be kind to yourself. Be kind to your stovetop. Put the lid aside. It's already done its job by that stage.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't use a lid when boiling pasta.

0|0
    0|0
  • No lid

0|0
    0|0
  • Stop using a lid

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes