Would you leave a tip if someone doesn't give eye contact and is unfriendly with you?

My so called mother said they still deserve a tip, and I disagree if the waitress or waiter is unfriendly, nervous, avoid eye contact, and sometimes doesn't even serve me why should I give a tip? You have to work for your money, and not serving you is discrimination, last time I checked. I even have to be the one to say hello this, and that. It's their job to greet me Of of course, I'm black with dark skin, it wouldn't happen otherwise. My mom's Dominican, so she doesn't understand.
Updates:
After bad service, I go on the internet and expose those workers it I know they're name's of course.

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I agree with u... U don't HAVE to leave a tip... The only obligation u have is to pay the meal... Leaving a tip is a courtesy... Its a "thank you for your service... If the service is poor, why would you thank you? Im not hypocrite... I worked as a waitress one summer... and there are to ways to approach the Job... U can try ur best, or do the minimum required... By trying ur best i mean.. Be nice, force a smile if u have to... Crack a joke if ur in the mood... The friendlier u are the fatter the tip... Doing minimum required... u can't expect a bonus...

1|3
    0|0
  • So let me get this straight you don't like to tip your waiter/waitress if they don't make eye contact, nervous. I can understand if you don't want to tip because they weren't friendly, rude, bad service, terrible food and didn't serve you that's understandable. You don't have to tip big but tip something because they still serving you. I feel like you just being cheap and finding every reason not to tip them. Since you don't feel like tipping make your own food at home. You will save a lot of money.

1|0
    0|0
    • It's unfriendly in general. The lack of eye contact is part of it

• Show All
    • You act like you don't have any other place to eat that will give you equality. If they aren't treating you right. Why eat their food? Why make them richer? Now you want to give some history lesson etc. After calling me a hoe, trump voter etc. You are full of it. Grow up! You're not doing anything to change the situation but just complain about it. Coming online complaining is not making a difference. Being in a restaurant that you feel is giving you bad service because of the color of your skin is not making a difference either. You weren't warning people not to go to that restaurant anymore. Also, you weren't standing up for equality either. You only started saying this now because you know you full of it but don't want to admit it. By giving a racist restaurant your hard earn money instead of walking out to me it looks like you are already a slave.

• It's black people cooking the food and whites serving you imbecile

Most Helpful Guys

• Tipping is awful. Its demanded for sub par performances. Its just another indication of the societal rot in North America. Its only to subsidize lazy unethical servers who otherwise couldnt work past selling chocolate bars. Its there to privellege the dumbest among societywe have to offer so that they dont find themselves destitute from their laziness. It subsidizes entitled bratty children who refuse to work at anything that isn't overpaid. Its the easiest of jobs you can find and the highest paying for the least amount of work.

But a well earned tip is a well earned tip. If its closing time and Im stopping the staff from going home Im paying for a bit of the overtime.

I dont mind tipping chefs though. Only if its really busy or if its high class. Sometimes chefs pull miracles and they put more into the meal than what you could imagine. The servers just rob the chef because theyre assholes.

0|2
    1|0
    • Also one of the only sexist professions around. there's no ugly chicks and there's only ever 1 guy. Men and ugly women aren't allowed working as servers. Establishments only ever hire 1 man and thats to avoid charges laid against the company of discrimination. Out of almost every restaurant you go to, it will be like that. Forget the unicorn stores, the 1 other place thats the exception. Men and ugly women aren't allowed to work their and its ridiculous. Men are better at it and really women are better behind the counter in the kitchen. Women are nuerotic and can't handle the stress with keeping up appearences. Men can. The offside is that women can really pump out work when they are steaming up. Our sexist system now should actualky be reversed. Women cooking and men serving. However, what the support for tips vanish when that happens.

• Show All
    • Is unattractive and ugly the same thing to you?

• no, not neccessarily. There's plenty of beautiful girls I wouldn't want to bump because I just don't like them. An ugly person is just difficult to look at, sort of speak.

• I don’t need someone to be my best friend when I go out to eat, they just need to do their job and makes sure I get my food, drinks, and bill at appropriate times. If they mess up my order, leave my food around to get cold, leave me thirsty, leave me waiting to get out the door, etc. then they’ll get screwed over at tip time. I know their busy, often tired, and are working multiple tables for tips, while fighting with the kitchen to get shit done… They pop between tables fast to make sure everyone has what they need usually. Them not stopping to kissing your ass every time they pass doesn’t even come to being in the ballpark of being racist...

2|0
    0|0
    • Not kissing your ass, just give me service like the hgve the white man his service.😊

• That's how white people are treated as well. If you want exemplary service then go to a 5 star restaurant and the maître d, waiter, hostess, server, etc. will all keep you happy for $200+ a person plus a fat tip...

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 34

• You are wrong and it has nothing to do with your race. Stop feeling so entitled and try to look at it from another perspective. You don't know what kind of day a person might be having. For all you don't know that waiter or waitress might have some sort of disability that hinders their social skills. I leave a tip because it is the right thing to do. Pay it forward and show others the respect that you want in return.

2|1
    0|1
  • This is why America annoys me. Just pay your staff. Tips in Australia are reserved for exceptional service.

If I was in America where tipping was “mandatory” she would get a very small tip maybe like 5% but it would be given very begrudgingly.

1|4
    0|0
    • That's why they should treat everyone the same and they'll get their cash

• US isn't the brightest of the bunch, neither are the hosers of the north

• My boyfriend is a big tip guy no matter what, he was a waiter during college and bartender so he knows how it feels to get no tip.
    I don't agree with him, I've seen him leave $10.00 once when we stopped in a place for one drink, that's uncalled for.
    They do that job bc then need money, their money comes from tips, if they're not smart enough to smile make eye contact and always be friendly then I'm sorry they get nothing from me, it's not the money it's a matter of principal.

0|1
    0|0
    • A good tip would be to leave them a note saying next time act friendly you fucking idiot.

• Show All
    • If the person's friendly I'll tip more than 20 on occasion

• That's what I do the same as you, if the person is friendly I'll tip well, if not by me not tipping them maybe they'll think about it and start being friendly.

• You are doing the most! If you get that kind of service maybe its because the employees know you are picky or hard to please and they are just people they can be nervous about any number of things. I am a black woman and have been a black woman long before I became a waitress. I know how it is to come into a resturaunt and be ignored but I also know that little things such as being nervous can be a quirk and have literally nothing to do with you. I get nervous every time I get sat because I have anxiety but I do still manage to go and greet my tables politely. Also, if you expose me on social media as a bad waitress because I didn't make eye contact with you, nobody else in the establishment will want to come near you anymore and nobody will want your tip because yes thats how we earn our money but who wants to deal with an unfriendly or rude or ASSUMPTIVE customer? Because I have heard plenty of customers at my job cmplain that service was bad because they were black and my coworker was white, but my white coworker was MARRIED to a black man and had adopted his black children, or other times people had to give me there takes because the black people refused to be served by a white person, automatically assuming service would be bad and fueled by racism. And they ended up getting less than service by me, a black woman, because I had an extra table that I couldnt handle because I am only suppose to have a number of tables and no more, so ALL of my tabels got neglected that day because I had too many tables and was trying to treat each table fairly and visit them equally. But of course the black people still complained that they got bad servuce just because they were black. Stop giving us black people a bad name

1|1
    0|0
    • Well I'm am not black black, I don't identify with you nappy weave wearing heads

• Well said @Kibler. Ghost285 is a racist jerk. That's why when you spoke the truth he put you down just as he did me. He's using race to get attention. He's nothing but a troll. And not a very good one.

• I've been taught that you don't not leave a tip, you just leave a less-than-great one (like 10%). Also, nowadays many restaurants pool tips so I don't want to short-change someone for someone else's actions.

0|2
    0|0
    • I don't understand. Don't not?

• Sorry. I mean you should always give a tip. As in, you don't just "not tip".

• 1d

Hey, may I apologize to you for something? It'll only take a minute and I'll be on my way. I don't have level 2 yet so I can't PM. Just wanna know.. Mutual peace of mind would really be appreciated.

• Yes I would tip the waitress despite your reasons. I just would give her the minimum. No ones perfect and can have a bad day. They could have lost a love one for all you know. I would only not tip if the wait person was verbally and intentionally rude. But I would also ask to speak to the manager and ask for another waitperson. That way the manager can deal with the rude waitperson and I can hopefully enjoy the rest of the dinner with someone who's not rude.

1|1
    0|0
    • Despite my reasons? Is that because white people don't gotta go through discrimination against someone who isn't black

• Show All
    • I don't look at black people and think they are gonna mug me you idiot. That's what you assume about me or anyone with white skin. You are clearly a racist. Like I said. Hypocrite. Now make like a ghost and disappear. The way you think is killing our world. You offer nothing. Just take, take, take. You cry about being discriminated against because of a look. You're not being tar and feathered, your not made to sit in the back of the bus. You don't have white people threatening your family and leaving burning crosses on you lawn. Your ancestors are the ones who went through hell with slavery and racism. You use their torture and pain so you can get attention. Shame on you. Because it took people of all colors to change it. And instead of continuing to make the world right you choose to be a racist. Go ahead. Cry for more attention ghost. We see right through you.

• One more thing Ghost. Your problem is that you automatically think people treat you bad because of your skin color. Why? Because it doesn't occur to you that it's your bad attitude that people pick up on. And there's nothing worse than waiting on a racist, entitled, a$$hole that thinks the world owes him.

• No. a waiter was giving me and my friend a huge attitude so we paid (well he paid) and i told him to give us back our change. i took it back and left $2. if they're nervous or i can tell it's their first few weeks or something, i'll leave 20%. there's a difference.

0|1
    0|0
    • Well this girls the manager, and my first day I ate there she was nervous. She's nervous every time she sees me. Some people say she likes me. She's a redhead white girl. She doesn't like me she's just racist

• I tip low (10% to 15%) if the service is bad. If it's REALLY bad I won't tip - but I live in Canada so minimum wage goes for all jobs and isn't lower for servers.

0|1
    0|0
    • I've had some occasion when I wasn't served at all. I don't wanna tip. I feel like if I tip for bad service I'm getting cheated

• Show All
    • My mom says maybe they should shit in my food, because I wouldn't tip a negative person. LMFAO, that woman

• Can you share your worst experience?

• No, I wouldn't. I'm not going to be nice with someone who isn't nice to me.
    I'm pretty sure they weren't nice to you because you're a dark skinned black man. They thought you were threatening.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd leave a tip if they were nervous and didn't give eye contact. They may just be shy or be a nervous type of person. That's not poor service in my opinion. It's rare I don't leave a tip. If they were rude to me or anyone else visiting the restaurant, I wouldn't leave a tip.

I'd never put a formal complaint in just coz they weren't over friendly. Only if they were really rude to me. That's rare though. I eat out a lot , and I've only ever came across two servers that were rude.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I mean if the service is shit then they don’t exactly deserve it but I think that nervousness is now exactly a problem, like some people are just introverts 🤷‍♀️ and that’s who they are, maybe they’re new, you can’t get mad at them for nervousness and no eye contact. But for the other reasons, it really depends how bad they are.

0|0
    0|0
    • Oh please she's a redhead white girl. I've seen her and she's not shy or nothing. Just scared of dark skin

• Yes. Because tips are 90% of their money. Since employers don't pay them and expect them to supplement their small pay with tips. You always tip 20% no matter what because no waitstaff is being paid enough to put up with your shit.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would tip, tbh ik there is racism but not everything is about race.

I work at a resturaunt ( if u call mcdknalds a resturaunt lolll) and I smile as much as I can but sometimes you miss someone or accidentally look unfriendly etc.

It’s not about race or anythig, it’s just tiring to be happy all the time and sometimes you forget

0|0
    0|0
  • Unless service is aburdly horrible, I always tip something. Its just polite. Maybe my server is on the austism spectrum and eye contact is difficult for them. Maybe the server is new and nervous. Maybe my server is just having a bad day.

0|0
    0|0
  • I still tip and I always tip at least 20%. I work in an office now and you know what? My coworkers have bad days too! They have days where they are short with people or unfriendly or make mistakes. But the difference, when they have a bad day now and then it doesn't effect their income. Everyone has bad days, and that's okay. I dont think one bad day is worth not having the money to make rent, feed yourself/your family, etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, unless the service is abhorrent, like they spit in my food, called me names, etc. I'll still tip, but it'll only be like 0.50$ or something, maybe a dollar at most.

0|0
    0|0
  • I kinda agree with u
    why we should tip someone who is not doin their job right

0|1
    0|0
    • Everybody agrees but they don't agree in this circumstance because it's about black people. 😆

• Ho-hum service, I will still tip. Only if it's really atrocious will I not tip.

0|1
    0|0
  • Im one of the people who can't work as a waitress bcz i get super shy and nervious around people so it would be very hard for me to greet with anyone (so its not about race blv me )

0|0
    0|0
  • I´m not an American. I only give a tip when the service was good/awesome/great. If I would feel like they deserve it

2|0
    0|0
  • I only give tips if it's a restaurant. I don't give tips if it's a place where I'm coming up to the register to order, and nobody comes to "serve" me, even though they still ask for tips at checkout.

I give tips based on the service. If it's not that good. I give less, and if someone's exceptionally good, I give more, but no more than 20% of course.

If I ask for something simple such as a cup of water, utensils, or napkin, and it takes forever for them to bring, that'll deduct their tips. It's not difficult to grab me some napkins on his/her way to serve another customer. I shouldn't need to walk up to another waiter/waitress to ask for something that I asked 10-15 minutes ago. I didn't even order my food yet. It shouldn't require cooking or anything that'll take time.

0|1
    0|0
  • *prolongs nuuh sound* No. U. U

#SensitiveSometimesPettyPerson

0|0
    0|1
  • If I were in America, I would probably still leave a tip, even if I didn't feel I was given particularly good service

0|0
    0|0
  • I actually work as a server so I typically tip a little more than the average person unless my service was absolute shit. I look for being greeted in a timely manner, my order being correct, and my drink being replenished. Even if my drink s empty for a minute or two I'm not going to fuss because I understand. And eye contact and a smile is important too. I'm sorry you got shit service and take this however you want but I do my best to treat every table equally. Everybody deserves the best service no matter their race or background. Us servers work for our tips. If we're shitty servers we get shitty tips, that's just how it is. And I understand there's people who will tip a set amount no matter what lol. I mean I'm still human and I still make mistakes and I don't always make the best tips but that's anyone who works in the food industry. We're not flawless.

0|0
    0|0
    • I think a drink being empty at all is unacceptable. They need to anticipate that stuff. It's called being aware and attentive (and proactive.)

• I've had people suck down their entire drinks after I give the table their drinks and am still in the middle of taking their order. :/

• And we do our best. I'm only one person and as soon as I notice a drink that's half empty or empty I het to it as fast as I can.

• I be never understood the whole tipping thing... why should you tip someone for doing their job? I don’t get tips as a rn nor do I expect to get them

0|0
    0|0
  • I rarely get amazing waiters.. so I assume they’re all kind of a bit rude and I tip anyway without taking it personally..

0|0
    0|0
  • absolutely not, if he can't be bothered to do his job propely i can't act like a normal customer. You get what you get!

0|0
    0|0
  • You don't tip in Australia, so I don't see the need for tipping at all, let alone for bad servers.

0|0
    0|0
  • No friendly service , no tip. Period!!

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope. They didn't earn one

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 31

• Tipping is a reflection of the tipper, not the tippee. Go to places that don't tip. Or, stand firm in your beliefs, hold yourself accountable, and stop assuming that people have to be like you to make the world go round.

I think of it this way - how you treat others is how you treat yourself and how others will eventually treat you. Having those standards are great and when done properly, can make for an amazing customer/business experience. It is important. Yes, employees have a standard to uphold.

With that said, I'd much rather be that one customer that made my server's day a good day instead of the other way around. Why? Simply because that is who I am. I don't expect that from anyone else other than myself. For me, helping my server who is finishing up a 12-hour shift smile just a bit is more important than my review of their service. That 30% on a $30 meal is not much, but the thought of it is worth it. To me, it's $9. To this person, it may have been one of the higher end of tips he/she has received (even better if 30% was the low-end).

We probably won't see eye-to-eye on this which I feel is a good thing - your perspective is much needed because you uphold a standard of excellence in customer service and care. I like to approach it from the other side - employee service and care. Or better yet, people service and care. Both are highly important - one for business and the other for personal. The balance makes us all better.

I'll leave the reviews to the professionals and critics that have an eye for that kind of thing.

Best to you and the others.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. In the U. S., I tip for baseline to exceptional service. If the server is pitiful and is just having a bad day, maybe a little and encouragement. But intentional dissing deserves 0 tip.

Actually, tipping is ridiculous and I still wonder why the price-raising practice with false-advertising is even tolerated by the masses. in nations across the globe, the advertised price = the price you pay. (Back in the Philippines, tax is even included in the advertised price for ALL goods and services!) Hence, the menus in many countries generally tell you EXACTLY how much you'll pay, none more, none less (unless there's a discount, which is generally advertised, too). And why must the customer do the management's job of choosing the employees wages? (While waiting for your meal, should you re-check their inventory levels as well?) Also, do you tip the cooks, who actually cook the meals into existence? How about grocers, too? Or plumbers, car-repair personnel, or bookstore crew?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_vivC7c_1khttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBTfj2lN6sQ
    Waiters should just be paid normally, like everyone else!

0|0
    0|0
  • Some restaurants don't use waitress/waiter to serve the food, they use other workers for the food portion. But the nervous/no eye contact and unfriendliness is a big No. Especially if they are unfriendly, I would NOT give a tip at all. And the Hello part, that is part of there job. I agree with you, No tip for them. Sorry for the horrible experience though. Go ahead with the bad reviews on the internet/Yelp/Google or wherever about them.

0|1
    0|0
  • If she brought your food and handled your other needs, you owe her a tip.
    You aren't the only person in the world just because you're her guest. There are all kinds of reasons she might seem nervous or unfriendly. She might be dealing with a personal crisis and is just trying to put on a brave face and do her job. Don't be that person that has to make it worse.
    She is your server, not your servant

0|0
    1|1
    • There's been times when I haven't been served at all

• Or she might have a black man phobia and she stereotypes every big black dark skin man

• I only give tips if the service is top notch, because where I'm from waiting staff make the minimum wage - often much more.

American tipping culture is abhorrent. All wating staff have occasional bad days, restaurants get randomly busy without enough staff to cover it, and the staff shouldn't lose their wages for it. However, it's not exactly my problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • To me tip is more based on service. 15% baseline. Better than average I'll tip more. Worse and I'll tip less. They'd have to objectively piss me off to not get tipped.

I dont even remember what she said now, but a friend and I sat at the bar of a smokey bones and chatted with the bartender one night. She was cute and I guess liked to test her limits with guys because of that. She straight up insulted me calling me a name. Don't remember what, but she said it with a smile. I laughed as I said, "I guess someone doesn't want a tip!" and my friend just bursts out laughing that I actually said it outloud. Bartender was super sweet to me the rest of the night and to this day flirts with me when I go in lol.

I tipped her that night, but if she decided to be a bitch to me for no reason you can believe she wasn't getting tip anytime soon. Like I'm not about to pay someone to treat me like shit. But if they just don't make eye contact or aren't super personable I dont care. Doesn't do them any favors in the event something goes wrong tho. If someone isn't making eye contact, is unfriendly and something goes wrong with my order or just takes super long to get to me. Even if it isn't his fault I'll feel like it's his fault and not doing his job. So end up tipping less because of that mistake. But if I can tell he's trying and the kitchen is just slow I don't hold it against him and will likely tip 15% or more.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well luckyli i can make 1 phone call and the person in this particular restaurant will lose the job in 10 minutes :) if he or she will piss me off

( yes i know the most popular restaurant in my city menager and owner , my godfather ) and yes it happend twice in 5 years

0|0
    0|0
  • I always tip, but I tip low if I receive poor service

0|1
    0|1
    • How low? Even if it's poor service I gave a couple pennies

• Show All
    • You never specified that. If it's a buffet and they never came around to clear the table or refill my drink I probably wouldn't tip them very much. Maybe 5%

• Still a nice guy. I wish I was as nice as you, and didn't get hurt so easily

• I don't know about you but i usually get great service. if its bad i call it out to their faces but its usually fast food where the workers are shit. one time at a donair shop the worker was about to not put hummus and tabouli in my donair so i quickly called her out the second she was about to wrap it. i was super rude about it and almost put the girl in tears for her laziness.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is your decision. If he was that rude to you then yeah, though sometimes instead of not leaving a tip at all (which only makes a person look cheap) people will leave an insulting tip like one cent to show that they are displeased by the behavior of the waiter.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't tip. It's not mandatory in France, and it shouldn't be anywhere.
    Tipping is a reward for a service going beyond your normal service. I'm not tipping you because you bring me what I ordered, that's your job.
    I tip you if you've been exceptionally nice.

0|0
    0|0
  • What's a "so-called mother"?
    It depends on the occupation. A server is one where depend on tips to survive. It's not just something extra. So, yes, you always tip a server in the U. S. In some countries it's included in the bill.

0|0
    0|0
  • As an adult I look 4 things like sadness, shyness, newness, but if i know they know what they r suppose 2 be doing and do not I start out with a 10 dollar tip as soon as I walk in as the experience continues if unpleasant they may not get 1 red cent big thing no silverware - 1dollar so on and so forth.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe. I would look around the restaurant and see if it is understaffed. If the server is breaking his or her butt serving too many tables, I will cut some slack. If the server is just rude, then no tip.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t leave tips full stop. Why should I give extra money when the pricing on that menu accomodates pricing of the food and the restaurants employees. The employees get paid regardless.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm a good tipper especially towards pizza delivery drivers.
    But at a restaurant, if I feel I'm getting waited on properly you can be damn sure they aren't getting a full tip.

0|0
    0|0
  • I personally will tip bit if they're rude than I won't. But I never go out to eat because I don't like tipping

0|1
    0|0
  • I think ear contact is much more important than eye contact. I want my waiter to care enough to listen to my needs.

0|0
    0|0
  • I tip extra if they bring me my food and DON'T try to get all friendly.

"You're not my fucking friend, and I didn't come here for friendship, just bring me my shit and then leave."

I don't expect people to treat me like I'm in daycare. You obviously feel very insecure about something and you are looking to take offense at everything.

If you need someone to fake friendliness to you, hire a prostitute to do it, don't expect that kind of thing from minimum wage workers, what is wrong with you? Go back to fucking Dominican Republic with that creepy attitude. It's not a waiter's job to be your Stepford Wife, you creep.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've only had to stiff a server once- it was THAT bad! I DID leave them an explanation. Well, technically I left them a penny so they would realize I didn't "forget" to leave the tip - it was a reasoned decision. But I digress - if they give me basic service- take order, bring order, clear table, fill drinks, they get a basic tip. If they smile, are pleasant, make a joke once in awhile, they get better tips. If, on the other hand they become fawning and obsequious, that will drop their tip as well- there IS such a thing as overkill. Striking a happy medium for ALL their customers will assure the waiters and waitresses the best overall response in their pay.

0|0
    0|0
  • Tip an average tip but never eat there again. Leave bad review if you want to, but don’t name names

0|0
    0|0
  • I would still tip for that, but not if they were rude or the service was bad

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope.

0|2
    0|0
  • I wouldn't.

0|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn't

0|2
    0|0
  • Your "so called mother"?