Does your country's cuisine include other parts of the animal?

It has often been joked, that the French and the Chinese have one thing in common: they believe that if you're going to eat the animal, you should not waste any part of it.

I'm more familiar with Chinese cuisine, so I'll speak on that. The Chinese don't like to waste anything - wastefulness is considered a sign of bad character. Even though Buddhism strongly favors vegetarianism, the Buddhist practice is: if you have to kill any other species to feed yourself, you might as well eat all of it, as a sign of respect to the animal that gave up its life for you.Benefits of eating offal? Offal is protein-rich. When wolves kill in the wild, they go for the organs first.
It also contains a lot of collagen, which studies have shown improves skin texture, bone health, and has anti-aging benefits.

Haggis Pie
Haggis Pie

The French eat foie gras (duck/goose liver), tete de veau (veal's brains), langue de boeuf (cow's tongue), tetines (cow udder), and pรขtรฉ (which contains liver).

The Chinese have pork intestine soup, fish head noodle broth, "phoenix claws" (spicy chicken feet), and picked pig's feet (traditionally fed to mothers on consignment).

Both cuisines also feature tripe.

But they aren't the only ones eating offal.

For the Brits, pig Trotters (feet) is a common working class dish, although they've been appearing in more posh restaurants. Black pudding, of course.

Further up north, the Scots have haggis (sheep heart, liver, and lungs).

The Spanish (and the French) eat cocks comb (a chicken's comb).

The Italians eat liver with onions. The Germans have liverwurst. The Mexicans have tripe tacos.

Ironically, as the country that eats the MOST meat, America doesn't eat much in the way of offal. Why? Polls show offal has a socioeconomic stigma in the US: Many Americans think (or thought) organ meats are what people in poor countries eat. (which is true).

What SOME Americans don't know is that the hot dog they're eating can contain as much as 85% organ meat.

Hot dog
Hot dog

916

Most Helpful Guys

• I'm Irish and years ago yes people, particularly working class ate offal meat. In Bulgaria where i live, they eat a lot of offal meat. Guts ( intestines) sheep's heads, pig's heads, liver, tripe etc.
    In many Western countries the reason for the decline in eating offal meat is because people no longer use the local butcher but buy their meat in supermarkets where the more expensive, choicer cuts of meat are offered for sale.

• I always try to support a local butcher establishment if I can find one. Problem is, they're becoming rare.

• Even in supermarkets here they offer packaged offal meat for sale. Much prefer to use a real butchers, plenty to choose from here.

• That's good. At least you guys still have a robust butcher scene.

• traditionally meat was such a rare treat that all parts were used in the west too, not just france and as a veggie myself i at least respect that notion more than todays trend for just taking 'prime cuts'and wasting the rest. especially given how much strain on the enviroment the meat industry causes

• Yes. I've met chefs who use whole chickens to make chicken stock and then they just want to bin the leftover chicken meat. That to me is very wasteful.

• Oh, yes. Definitely. I can't remember the exact stat, but something along the lines of "If everyone in the world would just go meatless for one day per week, we'd be saving a few billion animals that week." Or some such. I follow a mostly Asian-style diet, so I don't eat a lot meat, but trying to get my friends to cut down on their meat consumption is like pulling teeth. I don't feel comfortable eating a meal without vegetables, but they have the opposite problem and don't feel comfortable eating a meal without any meat.

• its not even about saving animals... infact its more about reducing demand to breed so many but yeah thats where vegan Monday came from... personally i haven't eaten an animal in 36 years and even then meat wasn't something we had with every main meal

Most Helpful Girl

• Well if I'm not wrong these are made with the part of the pork that are difficult to use

And here in Spain it depends on the house, but we usually use almost all parts of chicken or pig. My mom sometimes cooks liver she loves it however I can eat it but the flavor is strong. Some people like to eat chicken hearts, or at least is a product on butcher shops.

• Yes. Gummy bears are made from gelatin, which made by boiling down the skin, cartilage, and bones of animals - basically, the meat industry's left-over.

Oh! At least you still have dedicated butcher shops in Spain. Their numbers are diminishing in places like UK, Australia, and the US.