Would you try eating durian?

Would you try eating durian?

Durian is a controversial fruit. The smell of durian is so pungent it is banned from hotel, airport and public transport.

"Durian is a strange combination of savory, sweet, and creamy all at once. A durian is supposed to have subtle hints of chives mixed with powdered sugar. It's supposed to taste like diced garlic and caramel poured into whipped cream."
  • No
    Vote A
  • Yes
    Vote B
  • Maybe
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I can't get near enough to it to eat it, lol 😂

I won't say the smell is so bad, but I just find it overpowering...

1|1
    0|0
    • 2d

Personally I don't like it too, the smell gives me headache. But I can eat it if its added as flavouring ingredient in a dish. Just not by itself haha!

• Show All
    • 2d

You should!

The smell is why they don't allow it in hotels, even in Asia.

• 1d

Thanks for MHO

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes. Smells like hell but taste like heaven.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I've watched Andrew Zimmerman try it multiple times and based on his reactions to it I've got mixed feelings.

1|0
    0|0
  • I saw it on TV once years ago and I looked around town for it. All I could find was some pre-cut frozen durian. I had some and it was OK. But I want to get a fresh one and cut it open and see what this is all about.

1|1
    0|0
    • 2d

I don't think frozen durian has the same taste and texture like the fresh ones.

• 2d

The freezing process would have degraded both the taste, texture, and fragrance.
      However, in terms of the smell, this might actually be beneficial for people who find its fresh scent overpowering.

• 2d

Yeah that was what I was thinking. I'd like to find a fresh one, if I dare! LOL

• The idea of chives / garlic mixed with sugar makes me want to throw up, so no, I wouldn't try eating a durian.

1|0
    1|0
  • I would. I had some, it's not too bad!
    Whoever was first person to eat it had a lot of courage!:)

1|0
    0|0
    • 2d

I find it interesting how you relate eating durian as bravery haha!! 😂 Maybe there's some truth to it.

• Yes, I would try it. I would try most things once. Do you like it?

1|0
    0|0
    • 2d

I used to like it many years ago, I stop eating it when I visited my grandma. It was festive season and we were visiting our neighbours, all of them kept giving us their durians. Our car trunk filled with durians. Oh imagine the smell I had too endure the whole journey. When I arrived at my grandma, her whole kitchen filled with durian from her trees... For the whole time I stayed there about 2 weeks.. I got sick of it. I only eat durian if its added as flavoring in foods now.

• Show All
    • 2d

Most people find it delicious though, like a taste explosion in their mouth haha! You should try. Don't let the smell stop you :)

• 2d

Well I live in the middle of the continental US. So I'm not sure that I even have real access to it. But if I do get the opportunity I will try it sometime

• I lived in China, every time I walked past a place that had these, I felt like I was in a sewer where people had been pissing for months on end, this stuff is vile, you can smell it from the next street over. I would never put something like that into my system.

1|0
    0|0
  • I’ve trued it once. The flavor was quite good the smell was like a special corner of hell.

I have eaten durian pastries that were just unbelievably good with no off putting smell.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's delicious lmao but I had to hold my breath while eating it

1|0
    0|0
  • loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt. gimme gimme someeeeee

1|0
    0|0
  • It’s hella nice!! It’s quite popular in my home country😍👌

1|0
    0|0
  • Fuck no, the smell is the absolute worst and last time I was told to try it I threw up. I didn't even get to chew it before it happened.

0|0
    0|0
    • 17h

Hahaha!! First timer should hold their breath while eating 😂

• hell no, I got a nose for a reason, and that reason ain't to smell this shit up my nose

0|0
    0|0
  • i would give it a try cause everything deserves a first try but garlic in cream sounds weird

1|0
    0|0
  • I've tried it its actually quite nice it stinks worse than anything you have ever smelt

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm aware of eating durian.
    Would be a pleasant experience.
    Specially, if I had two.
    One for me and one for sharing.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would definitely love to try some not sure where to get hold of some.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, I’m no pussy. Bring it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would love to try it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I t Looks sour. xx

0|0
    0|0
    • 1d

No its not, durian is never sour. Sweet is a better description.

• No that sounds disgusting

1|0
    0|0
  • Why not

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, I would try eating durian.

1|0
    0|0
  • i would definitely marry her

0|0
    0|0
  • is it like orange or something

0|0
    0|0
  • Very bad smell such a stink

0|0
    0|0
  • How smelly it really is? I heard some horror stories but I didn't know whether they were exaggerated. Where can you get it? Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore?

0|0
    0|0
    • 2d

I can't describe the smell but its really bad. Yeah you can get them in all those countries, including Thailand.

• 2d

How far does the durian smell travel? If market traders have them in their stalls, can you smell it from the other side of the street?

• 1d

Yes, you certainly can.

• tried it long time ago, didn't really like it though

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes