Vegetarians, how did you go from eating meat to an entirely vegetarian diet?

I have thought more and more about going vegetarian lately.
I love animals and i've never cared much for meat anyway, I just eat it because its what i'm used to. Lately i've even stopped enjoying several different kinds of meats such as sausage and ham - I just think that it tastes disgusting.

I don't have any knowledge about vegetarian food though and for now I still live at home and i'm a student, don't yet have a job, so my economy is really bad but if I wanted to go vegetarian i'd have to buy and cook my own food everyday therefore I wonder is vegetarian options generally expensive or does it cost the same as meat?
And how do I stay healthy? I've always been very skinny so I absolutely do not wish to lose any weight and I worry if I change to vegetarian diet I will get much less calories especially when I don't know how to eat right with that diet.

Any advice is helpful.
1
1