Making rum-apple pie: What is the best rum and best apples for this undertaking?

I_Am_Sazerac
I know most say Granny Smith apples but hear me out:

I'm making my own pie filling, but when I cook down the apples I add spiced rum to the mix. I have no idea what apples are best for this as lots of apples I think of are pretty tart or too sweet, and I happen to think spiced rum is a mix of both. What apple would be good to complement the sweetness of rum?
1 mo
I forgot to include that I've attempted it before based on a recipe I found and it did not seem to mix well, someone said Fuji and I tried it, it was too much clashing of sour/tart (apple) with sweet/spicey (rum). Trying to find that nice mix. This is a last minute idea for Thanksgiving so I dont know if it will even turn out lol.
0
5