Will a girl become distant or confused if she likes you, but is involved with someone else ?!

Anonymous
Me and this girl had known each other through friends. Suddenly we became a lot closer but I had to leave for 2 months, we kept in touch regularly texting & online. We flirted & hinted about missing each other and wanting to hang out when I got back. However we only had a month to see each other before she left town for a 3 months summer job. Without talking about it we both knew we didn’t want anything serious to develop before she left but when I got back we begun to see a lot of each other, first out with friends and then on our own. Suddenly she became very distant. We would talk and were still close and would open up but something was off. Also she would tell me she wanted to see me but when it came time to try and make plans she would almost avoid me

It came out that she has been seeing someone off and on for over a year. She thought it was totally done with & hadn't seen him in weeks. They saw each other and things kinda started up again & they’d try to make it work while she was gone but she didn't seem to confident as they have tried it before without luck. She kept apologizing and didn't tell me because she thought it was a dead issue and because we weren't about to get serious either before she left. I told her she should of told me still. She did admit she was into me, even telling my friends this. We agreed that when she got back if we still felt the same way and neither of us were involved then we could give it another shot

We both agree we have a real connection & she wanted to keep talking over the summer, I agreed but said space would be a good thing. Seems like we’ve gone into hiding only taking turns msging each other once a week or so & avoiding going online. However she was back in town last weekend to finish moving, I went to a bar for last call and ran into her. We always run into each other almost like something is making us see each other even when we don't want too. I seem to embrace it, while she seems to be scared off by it. She immediately asked me to dance and seemed excited and we danced a couple songs until closing and said goodbye. But by the end of the time spent with her I could sense she seemed distant and almost more confused being around me. Also the other guy was no where to be found at the bar or helping her move from what I can gather. I’m already wondering what's up there

I’m still out having a fun summer, meeting other girls but it weighs on my mind. Why want nothing more then to see me but pull away once I become a reality? Would having feelings for two people cause this? Did suddenly seeing so much of me scare her away? If they were together while we were apart and were dying to see each other and flirting, does this mean maybe she’s looking for an out but is scared? Sometimes I convince myself she's trying to get rid of me but then she always ends up messaging me, but how do I know for sure? Can I get her to open up about things and get us back to how it was before while keeping my distance and not scaring her?

1
1