She's emotionally unavailable, doesn't like me and yet is hot and cold?

I had confessed to this girl that I like her, she was generally pretty happy oddly enough and told our entire group of friends. She said she was emotionally unavailable, due to two heartbreaks in the last year, and that she was working on herself which I definitely see taking place, and when asked by our friend if she saw a future with me, she went with an "I don't know." a "Maybe." and a "We'll see." at the very least she though my confession was sweet. I eventually clarified with her and asked her if she liked me to which she said no and that she isn't trying to catch feelings and that she just wants to be friends. Afterward, talking to a friend of ours who's pretty real, he told me that she felt bad about saying no but out of all of her male friends, many of which she's talking to flirtingly, she'd date me. Initially when I told her I liked her, she was hot all the time, but after I popped the question, and with a week going by, she's now acting hot and cold. There will be moments she wants to speak to me, she'll just have her eyes on me at all times when she's talking or ask me to talk about a certain topic she likes, and then when she sees me out of class she'll suddenly just not talk to me but still acknowledge I'm there and etc. She's recently invited me to her birthday but is still acting like this, and I just don't know what's going on. I want her honestly to do well in what she said she's doing to work on herself and all that, and being friends is honestly not an issue but this is not a normal friendship, it's a very strained situation. She wasn't like this before, we've been friends now for going on more than half a year, and yeah this is just not a friendship, she's always been going through shit so I figure that's a part of it. Am I being strung along, or is there something bigger going on? You'll have to take my word for it, but she truly is a kind and caring person, but when something is bothering her she makes poor decisions.
2
0