Why do people always say that "confidence is key" to attracting women?

I find that saying that confidence is the key to a girls heart is giving guys false hope. Being good looking and having a muscular physique are the keys to a girls heart. Why tell ugly dudes (such as myself) that being confident is the best way to attract women? It's only setting us up for failure. This guy who popped up in my YouTube recommended feed explains it. He's really dramatic about what he's saying, to the point where some parts are laughable, but it made me question why people say that when in fact, it isn't true.

(a quick Sparknotes of the video: Basically he says that telling guys to be confident is useless if they are ugly because it gives them false hope. They will get rejected anyway, because they are not attractive. He also states that in order to have confidence, you need to succeed in that area you want to have confidence in.)

316

Most Helpful Girl

• Low self esteem is the biggest turn off is why they day that. If it's all bravado, once it falls, and the girl liked that front, she won't respect him.

• false, i was very uncofident at some point in my life but i was still pulling chicks and good quality ones for that matter.

• What's your secret?

• no secret i take care of myself, dress nice and girls often tell me iam very good looking, i am not super confiden and flirty in fact if you talk to me you will find out that iamvery reserved and not the kind that opens easily when it comes to sex and escalating sexually, and while most guys i know choose to get to sex as fast they can i simply take it slow and escalate as i see fit.

Most Helpful Guys

• Girls won't respect a guy that simply puts up a false exterior of being strong. It doesn't matter how good a guy looks. A girl will never stay with him if he's fake and relies on a facade. Girls want confidence in their men. That doesn't mean a guy isn't allowed to have insecurities, simply that a guy that covers his insecurities isn't trustworthy and girls will never respect him. Quite frankly being in a relationship where you aren't respected is far worse than being single. Feeling a constant condemnation from someone you care about is far worse than having no girlfriend. The status isn't worth it. Not even sex makes that kind of thing worth it.

Never forget that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A quick google search of "mismatched couples" showing pictures of super model women who are literally super models (as in that's their job and they're rich because of it) in relationships with very average men. Your looks mean nothing. If a girl likes you for/despite your looks then it doesn't matter if you're "ugly." If only to them, you are genuinely handsome. Confidence and a genuine lack of insecurity in your looks can make you VERY attractive to a woman no matter what.

Looks matter only so far as initial attraction or the pettiness of the sorts of females you're better off avoiding anyway. Initial attraction (for the record) matters very little because physical attraction is something that women build up along with emotional attraction. The more they connect with you emotionally the more they find you physically attractive. That's just how life is. Thus... it's more so the genuinity so to speak (I know it's not a word but you know exactly what I mean), of a man than his appearance that matters to a woman.

• Those mismatch couples are bond together by either money or status then. You can’t be naive enough to believe that it’s because of their personality. Evolutionary wise, it makes no sense.

• That's because evolution is a bullshit hypothesis that can neither be tested nor observed xD I can promise you that the woman had the status and the money AND the looks while the guy had none of the above.

• It's not a lie. The trouble with guys like this is that they go too far to the extreme. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Looks matter to an extent. Anybody who tells you otherwise is lying, and that's the other silly extreme. The thing is most guys can work on their appearance and become decent looking. You can eat good food, hit the gym or even just do bodyweight exercises and become muscular/athletic. You can dress well without spending a lot of money.

Confidence is important also. A good looking shy guy will have a lot of trouble getting women too. Sometimes, guys who aren't that good looking but who have huge confidence can also attract women.

Guys like this obsess over silly things. They say that in order to attracted women you need to be 6 foot or over, be good looking, have lots of money. None of this is true.

• But for the most part it is true. Girls look for three things. Looks, money, and status. One of the three is enough to get gorgeous women. Denying that makes you naive (not to be rude). Like this guy said, Brad Pitt can still get girls if he were to be shy. Cause many girls find him attractive.

• Again I think that these are silly extremes. I think it's a little autistic to view it as simply as that. Those things help but they aren't the only things that women look for. There a guys with all of those things who are clueless when it comes to women. Women also want a guy with similar interests, with a good sense of humour, who is confident, who can take the lead, who they can build a connection with. Personality matters also. Plenty of guys with all of those things are ruled by their wives because they're pussies when it comes to women. They have no game. Between Brad and Angelina she wore the pants for that reason even though he had all of those qualities.