I'm cold towards the people I actually like. What should I do?

I like to flirt with guys, as many people do, and they usually flirt back. I'm quite extroverted and I never doubt myself when I'm around guys in general. Except for when I actually like him. It's really hard for me to fall in love. I hadn't been in love for a long time, up until I met someone a few months ago. I dreamed about him every day, but the problem was that I was literally flirting with every guy in my class except for him! I couldn't look him directly in the eye, and I got nervous every time he was around or tried to speak to me. I don't think he noticed that though. It seemed like he thought that I had something against him. I prayed every day that we'd get an excuse to talk to each other. But that never happened. Instead, he changed schools and I never saw him again. I was devastated. I had to get over him quickly. So, I decided to force myself to think about another guy. One of the guys I had been flirting with the most was my crush's best friend. He had been throwing notes at me during lessons, he was looking at me all the time and did stuff to get my attention, so I decided to go for him. As we continued flirting, I always knew that I didn't really like him, he was just a distraction from my pain. But as time passed, I started realizing that I do like him. And as I've said, I am cold towards the people I like. It's not like I've been completely cutting him off, but I'm not as open with him as I used to be. And I think he has noticed that, and he is starting to back away. I can feel our relationship turning into what I had with my first crush, and I really don't want to mess this up. But I've gotten into this vicious circle of not talking to him. Every time I'm cold, he's giving up more and more, and as he gives up, I lose even more confidence. I don't know what to do. If I screw things up like this all the time, I don't know if I'll ever have a serious relationship in my life.

I'm 16 by the way, but I don't know how to change my age at this site.

01