Do you think that men are more rational and women are more emotional?

3653

3653
  • I think it depends from person to person, but I don't think it's wrong to say more women are more open about their feelings than what men are. It may be a combination of cultural norms and biology. Women tends to talk openly about how they feel, takes the responsibility to comfort people around them more frequently and usually takes jobs like nurses, kindergarten teachers, psychologists etc. Men often aren't into talking about their feelings and avoids certain topics. They're often distant - like their bodies are there, but the mind disappear for a while if they wants to avoid a conversation. My father, brothers, male cousins and uncles are like that.

I think both men and women can be rational though. Even women talking openly about their feelings can take smart decisions sometimes. Some "emotionless" people may take dumb decisions. Being emotional and rational aren't necessarily completely the opposite depending on the circumstances. When discussing ethics you needs slightly of both I guess. Thinking killing is wrong isn't all about logic, but also slightly about emotions, or you wouldn't come to that conclusion that easily.

• If men are more rational and not emotional, why is it that most road rage warriors are men? Why do we have entire centuries of some men flying into a rage and hurting other people, sometimes killing them, including their wives and children, because of that blind fury? Why do we see men getting enraged at what another man (or woman) has said to them and proceed to go all caveman-like on their asses? Why are there men who get so riled up hate and anger that they swear at other people on the internet and in real life and release a litany of curses and invectives when someone somewhere disagrees with them or espouses a point of view different from their own?

Men and women might express their emotions in different ways and certain emotions might be more acceptable in one sex compared to the other - but please, let's stop pretending that men are somehow born less emotional.

• yes. our hormones fuck with our minds. i always feel depressed before my period, end up crying, laughing, or wanting to punch people for know reason. then again, as Hhues mentioned, thinking with your brain and being indifferent to emotion is not always better. sometimes thinking with your heart is better.

• 2d

to add on: stereotypes are true. Woman freaks out that her dress has a wrinkle on it. if a flower is sapphire instead of periwinkle, the tears and madness ensues. men on the other hand shrug and are oblivious to these "catastrophes." sorry ladies, but we've all overreacted at one point or another, no?

• Sure, I can agree with that, but I wouldn't say rational is always better.

Its proven that women deal with stressful situations better in general, and that's because of emotions and "gut feelings" When it comes to purely number things, men make better decisions.

• Quite often it's not the case. Women are more open with their emotions it's true, but I think men are actually more emotional but hold them in until they get released in a negative way. I find men that act the most macho tend to be the most emotional as well.

• 3d

I've noticed that men tends to be more distant. They refuse to talk about their emotions and some are very distant - where their bodies are there while their minds just disappear, so they looks like an empty shell. Some men don't want to answer, may pretend to not care or understand. I've never seen my father cry.

• From what i've seen , women are emotional, till they get older and become rational.
    Men are not rational but it's more like practical even when they get older.
    many men are rational so does the women but when you look at society women are very emotional and many guys are doing it too these days. So! is it true? I have no idea because everyone does the things in their own way because they see it rational/practical in their own eyes.

• Yes they are generally speaking. They do have their emotional side. It would be great to show at the right time and right place.

I am pretty rational. Time of month off emotionally... working on balancing it out.

• Not always. I was with a guy that was a lot more emotional than me. Points where he wouldn't or couldn't sleep because I hadn't talked to him. He eventually became pretty obsessed and too much to handle.

• My opinion is that men are more rational and logical for bloody sure. But it comes at a great cost. They suppress their emotions to be logical. When they finally process their emotions.. not pretty.

Men know that emotions from a man are unattractive to women. They also suppress it in front of "the bois" because they need to be manly and strong.

(But like... that's just my opinion man 😎)

• I can agree on this, but not in every case... Can't say this is valid for every woman and man... in some couples can be true, in some maybe no

• Yes , men are more rational than woman.
    Woman tend to base their decisions on the mood that they are in.

Men have emotions and moods but we do a much better job at controlling them.

• 2d

I think its because we were taught how to as children as well. At least I was. I'd get made fun of in school for crying so I learned to control it and suppress it at a young age. Most guys do the same.

• Women are nuts. I hate working for female bosses because they are so moody. We women tear each other down constantly and usually over petty things that hurt feelings.

Murder and road rage are rare events and yes men can sometimes be violent, but nearly a fraction as often as many women lose their shit. Men just don't seem to complain about it as much.

• Yes, but women can turn it in/off. They just pretend not to be able to when it benefits them. That’s why only 3% of women are worse than men at maintaining good credit.

Yes, you can change ‘pretend’ to ‘find it easier”

• Total stereotype. The most emotion people I've met are guys, maybe millennials are different but men are so so emotional. Women are way more rational. And that's not saying either emotion is bad or less than the other, it's just what I've perceived. This is all based on my personal experiences and opinion 👍🏻

• I think people are just people, boy or girl. Depending on the time and place and situation either gender can be more rational and emotional than the other and sometimes for girls hormones can't be helped-like with women who are pregnant or PMS.

• Women tend to let their emotions cloud their judgement more, but I would generally not say that men are more rational, I mean, look at all the dumb dangerous shit they do which is the reason why women live longer on average.

• Emotions? What are these things you speak of... and where do sell them? are they expensive? free shipping?

• Men and women are definitely different, but men can be irrational and emotional, just like women can be rational and emotionless. It comes down to personality, not sex.

• I think that there is no correlation by the way personality and gender. A man may be sensitive and a woman may be rational.

But there is one thing about this issue. Men is always forced to hide their emotions and seem strong. They may be seem more rational and insensitive because they influenced.

• No, this is just social stigma at play again. I've met some very rational women and some very emotional men. This is just an old fashioned sexist comment.

• Generally speaking yes. there are a lot of bitchy guys out there but the vast majority of women are super emotional and illogical. Why else would men have most of the positions of power that require level headedness?

• Debatable. I think it depends on the actual circumstance they are in rather than their gender

• As a whole. Sure we're a bit more rational. But make no mistake. Men can be irrational and make decisions based on emotion just as easily as women sometimes. Myself included. I do think we are simply wired differently though.

• No, we’re just more prone to certain emotions than the opposite sex, and our emotions are triggered by different things.

• I think that it is a scientific fact but I think it depends on the person although some women can be more logical than some men are and vice versa. I think that it is just their go to way of thinking in most cases.

• If feminists are anything to go by, with their unrestrained emotional outbursts, then I would say you are currect.

• No, I don't. Men are more often ruled by testosterone to do incredibly stupid or hurtful things. Mostly it's about equal.

• No. In my life I’ve met more guys who get in their feelings than girls. So I’m not going to generalize.

• I feel like guys just kinda hide their emotions more

• 3d

That's cause of society. Well some guys generally do prefer to keep their emotions wrapped up but most of the time, society prevents us from.

• Not really. More men cause more road rage and fights for example. Thats pure emotion

• I'm sorry I'm not sure, does this imply that emotion and rationality are mutually exclusive? Or are you simply asking which gender I think displays either given trait more than the other?

• 2d

Emotions and rational thinking are to an extent mutually exclusive, yes. As you become more emotional, your ability to make a rational decision decreases and is more likely to fail. It's not even just that. You can look at chemistry in our brains to help prove that emotions and rationality are mutually exclusive. The same chemicals in your brain that allow you to experience feelings also inhibit you higher cognitive ability. As the chemical for feeling becomes more prominent in your brain, it inhibits your rational thinking at the same time.

• 2d

I think it might make sense too especially in a fighting sense which men used to do a lot of back in the day. Imagine going into a fight where the odds are stacked against you. Is it better to dwell on those odds, thinking how there's virtually no chance you'll win? Or is it better to just let your emotions take control. People always seem to fight better and try harder when they are emotional.

• 1d

@ajk87075 Oh, of course. Being overly emotional is never necessarily a bad thing. And being overly rational is never necessarily a good thing. There are pros and cons to each.

• There’s actual psychology info on this. Women have webbed thinking and men have logical thinking. On average across populations. Of course we human beings exist on a spectrum in every regard and any trait one sex tends to have more than the other, can always be shown at high levels in a smaller percentage of that population. For example if women have webbed thinking, maybe 80% of them, but 20% of men will as well. It’s a spectrum nam’ sayin’ (numbers made up for example purposes)

Rationality I think is a learned behavior. So is logic. So is emotion. All of these things can be improved upon through introspection and self improvement. We all start off with our biologically predetermined levels of X trait, but all of these traits can be actively improved by any person.

• YOOO STRAAAAIGHT FAAAAAXXXX!!! You definitely hit the nail on the head. 👌

• Depends on the ratio of testosterone and estrogen in each gender , people with higher testosterone are more aggressive and less emotional

• 3d

Anger and aggressiveness are not emotions in your books?

• 2d

I will now exit this conversation because it has finally reached a point so far below me that I simply refuse wasting time on this. It would be a more fruitful encounter to talk to wall on my part, after all an intellectual debate can only succeed if all parties involved are equally equipped which is not the case here as had become increasingly evident.
      Have a good one, and rest assured I at least had a good laugh after all.

• 2d

I guess we have to agree to disagree then. You believe you are more equipped than I. I believe the opposite. In fact, I feel like I could have written what you just wrote as I feel the exact same way about you as you do about me.

• They're both the same. Only society is expecting men to be more rational and women to be more emotional.

• Depends solely on the individual and the surrounding circumstances along with decision making skills and they're accumulated understanding of the situation at hand. That could be anyone.

• As a general rule, yes.
    I enjoy that pic by the way.

• No. I think we are both equally emotional and rational but show it in different ways.

• Yeah I suppose, u get some exceptions once in a while tho.

• I am not one to generalize because I don't like stereotypes. But I could understand your argument here

• i don't know if women are too emotional or not but they certainly let their emotions get the best of them

• Men and woman are given filters to act through. If we did not have any filter we would be very similar.

• Sometimes.
    Men tend to think more straight to the point while women tend to think more flexibly/outside the box.

• I Think rationality is a learnt trait.
    The more damage you see irrationality do, the faster you become rational. All regardless of your gender.

• Sometimes I think men are rational, then I look at Trump supporters.

• Most of the time, yes. But there are also men who are more emotional and women more rational, it all depends on the person.

• Generally speaking, yes. We're biologically programmed this way.

• Feel like we just die inside and try not to show it as society thinks ‘men don’t cry’ and if you do you need to ‘be a man, toughen up’

• I don't know but I know i'm too emotional. I hate it about myself, but I can't help it

• I mean, men can ditch all logic and reason for a woman with a nice pair either up top or on her tush

Show More
39