Girls, If a random woman strikes up a conversation with me, how can I tell if she’s interested or just being friendly?

Please keep in mind that i’m not assuming that every woman who talks to me necessarily likes me but I remember being with female friends in the library and the random woman who was sitting across from me in the library would strike up a conversation and asked me what I was studying and she also offered me a chocolate but after she left my friend would told me “You know she wanted you right?” and i’m like “No she was just being friendly” and all my female friends laughed at how clueless I was. Like WTF? I’m confused because obviously if a random woman strikes up a conversation with a guy I never assume “Oh yeah she wants me”
1