Do you have any exes who you can’t forgive even if you try? Is that stopping you from moving on? What do you do to let go?

Anonymous
I have an ex who I tried very hard not to hate. I don’t hate him, I have complicated feelings towards him. On the one hand, I will never hate him. But on the hand, I cannot forgive him even now that I haven’t spoken to him in over a year I just can’t stop myself from feeling disrespected with no apology or even guilt on his end. My problem is that even when someone wrongs me I still convince myself that I understand why they did it and I also blame myself for a lot of what I could have done differently. In his case, I tried to make excuses for how I let him treat me because he was depressed and he came from a different background than I did that I couldn’t possibly understand because I was sheltered, and he did what was best for himself and he wanted to experience happiness by seeking a new relationship with another girl who possibly was just more compatible with him, and maybe he didn’t feel he owed me an explanation because I just wasn’t as important to him as he led me to believe...

I told myself all of this thinking that it would help me to not be damaged. But eventually I started to feel like I couldn’t possibly accept how he treatment of me. The thing I did wrong was love that boy and concern myself with his feelings-guilting myself into putting him first. It feels kind of sad to know that only guy I have ever been in love with is also the person I feel so much disdain towards. I feel nothing but regret at ever meeting him. I’m concerned that the damage inflicted on my heart wasn’t worth the lesson. I worry that feeling ANYTHING for him (including anger) is hindering me from moving on. But I tried forgiving him by excusing his behavior and wishing him the best and that only felt like I was spitting on my self respect even more than I had previously done by loving him in the first place. Forgiving him hurts much more than admitting to myself how insulted I truly am
Do you have any exes who you can’t forgive even if you try? Is that stopping you from moving on? What do you do to let go?
Add Opinion