I approached a girl for the first time, was this okay?

Anonymous
There's this girl who i approached (first time) because she seemed interested (smiling, eye contact and stuff). Dating isn't really done here, usually arranged marriages are the norm, so the majority of guys and girls don't really know how to do this.

I didn't know how to talk to her so i asked my friend, who has experience with this stuff, to help me out. He went up to her and said that I wanted to talk to her. She said hi, I said hello, and we both shook hands.
I then asked her name, and she told me it. After that i asked her if it was fine that I'm talking to her, and whether she didn't mind me coming up like that. She said that it's fine. I then asked her if we could talk for a bit, she then asked me what I wanted to talk about. I think me asking this stuff was kinda awkward, but in the end we talked normally about stuff.

I asked my friends about my approach, and they told me i shouldn't have asked her name straight away, and rather create a natural flow of conversation, and then ask it. They also told me that I shouldn't have brought my friend to tell her that I wanted to talk, and that she probably thinks that I'm too scared and shy to talk to her. They said I'm too shy which is a turn off to girls, I don't know if that's true or not.
1
0