Has Family Guy killed The Simpsons?

The Simpsons used to set the standard for animated entertainment in my eyes but now... I couldn't really care less about it, why?... because Family Guy's humor, absolute randomness and Stuey has blown The Simpsons out of the water.

Does anyone still watch the Simpsons? Will it EVER regain top spot?

1322

Most Helpful Girl

• American Dad FTW...

• So much win in this post :D

sure they're made by the same guy, but Family Guy has become vulgar for vulgarity and comedy's sake :\ American Dad is at least still funny and has real jokes.

• Roger, Claus... good call!

Infact I'm disgusted with myself that I forgot about Roger... all those wigs, so camp... love him

• LOL. I know right.

Claus is adorable & Roger is hilarious.

What Girls Said 12

• Simpsons is better than Family Guy. Newer episodes aren't as good and whatever, but I still like it better. Family Guy is awful, imo.

• Well, The Simpsons have gone downhill. It used to be brilliant, but now...meh. It still has some really good moments now, though, but in general it just kind of fizzled out.

Family Guy, frankly, can be kind of dumb. But hey, that's what America wants. It can be funny, but most of the time...meh.

So if we're talking present-day episodes, both aren't really too great. But if we're talking in general, the whole run, The Simpsons > Family Guy.

• The Simpsons has been dead for a decade now. They started pumping out terrible unfunny episodes ever since Season 9. D:

• The Simpsons had its run. I still love the show for it's mostly clean fun and laughs. Family guy is very inappropriate humor that often pushes limits and boundaries. HILARIOUS non the less but I still think they are two different kinds of show. The Simpsons will never regain top spot, but it is a classic so it doesn't need it. Family Guy is shining for now, but we shall see how much longer its run goes.

• I would argue that it's a different kind of humour. Not all Simpsons fans will like Family Guy, and vice-versa. Apples and Oranges...

I think the Simpsons has jumped the shark. I don't think Family Guy's success will last as long as The Simpsons' did, though. Its latest episodes were kinda disappointing. Seth McFarlane seems to be losing interest.

But I like both, and will probably keep watching until they're cancelled for good.

• Family guy is amazing and its probably beat the simpsons. But if it weren't for the simpsons I don't think family guy will be as good because they get a lot of their inspiration from the simpsons. The simpsons is dying down because its been around for so damn long hahaha, but its a classic and I will always love the simpsons.

• I still watch The Simpsons but I totally love Family Guy :)

• I agree with you; I think Family Guy has surpassed The Simpsons. And no, I don't think The Simpsons will ever regain the top spot. Family Guy's just too good!

• I will always have nostalgia for the Simpsons. I watched it when I was my kids' age.

• Yes

• yes

• Family Guy all the way lol xx

What Guys Said 22

• I'm no fan of the Simpsons, but it's pure gold compared to that crap show Family Guy. South Park is much better than either of those shows.

• The Simpsons killed the Simpsons. Family Guy is (or was) pretty funny, but will have a hard time reaching the level of Success the Simpsons has. In its hay day, the Simpsons was freaking hilarious and didn't rely on crude humor to be funny. Any more, and I'd watch reruns of the Hannah Montana show before either of these.

• No one, I repeat NO ONE can create a character better and more comic than Homer Simpson. <3 This guy is a legend. <3

• Family guy is a incredibly stupid show. It has played out its part, the same damn jokes over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over.

See that is a joke that Family Guy would use, where their show could be 4 min long, but they drag out a joke for 5 min to make the show last 22 min.

Simpsons is the longest running show for a reason, they are smartly written. Not saying Simpsons has not gone down hill a bit but Family guy is oh so boring now, the first 2 years were good but now its horrible.

Futurama made a good comeback, created by the Simpsons creator which is a good show and so is South Park,

if anything SP has killed the Simpsons, but I know the creators have SP have mad respect for Simpsons.

• The Simpsons have been on since the 80's. I think they may have just ran out of ideas but they can still make money just off the show. For me the Simpsons really lost a lot of there steam about 10 years ago when it seemed like most the episodes where more about the guest stars then about Homer or Bart.

• They changed to crappy writers for the Simpsons, I still think iit could have been good

Family Guy is good but I like South Park as it actually talks about something rather than random jokes

• The Simpsons died a long time ago. It's been kept on life support for too long.

• I laugh at either one. Both have their ups and downs, so they portray American life and comedy pretty well in my opinion.

I'm waiting on the episode that tells about your sh*t debt ceiling hitting the fan, that'll be funny as hell.

• hmmm tough to say, I think they are dead even. The Simpsons still go on prime time, so I don't think so. To me they are dead even, the sympsons just seem to have changed their style of humor to a more sophisticated one, so they go more to the older audiences. While Family guy uses more toilet humor or more unortodox type of humor, which is directed more to the younger audiences like us. I personally like both the same, and I can't live without them.

• I thinks comedy changes with time. I'm a 90's guy and I remember wayching shows like "Married with Children" and "The Simpsons" and I thought these shows were very funny. Their jokes seemed like they actually had a writer unlike "Family Guy". Comedy these days is mosr base on dumbness and randomness. In order to keep getting viewers "The Simpsons" began since the early 2000's to base its show on this form of comedy.

• I freaking <3 Family Guy. My favorite show ever but I still watch The Simpsons and I still find it pretty funny but yes Family Guy is just so much cooler,funnier,and random-er.

• The Simpsons haven't been funny in at least a decade. Family Guy is good, but I think they're running out of steam.

Personally, I like Aqua Teen Hunger Force/Aqua Unit Patrol Squad 1 and Archer.

• Age has killed the simpsons

• yeah, family guy is just better than the simpsons..

• I like family guy better but it's like you still recognize the simpsons as one of the greatest ever lol and probably responsible for a lot of awesome cartoons that are out their like the beetles of animated comedy shows lol south parks the sh*t too haha

• I'm the same way I stopped watching it when I discover family and then I stopped watching family buy when I found south park but I eventually starting watching both, but I never went back to the simpsons

• The simpsons have been on since I was in High School.

• Family guy killed off the Simpsons for me ten years ago at least. Family guy rocks.

• Agreed. I went from The Simpsons to watching Family guy.

• The Simpsons will always be a great show but Family Guy will always be better.

• No it won't. I changed to Game of Thrones, that's some good stuff

• Family Guy sucks, and it gets worse each episode. I never miss an episode of The Simpsons.