Online Serial Cheater-Says he quit. Should I trust him?

My boyfriend and I have been together almost two years. I met him when he was around 19 and I was his first ever real girlfriend. Recently I found out that for the first year, he was cheating on me with girls online, and only one girl in person. He never kissed her or anything, but he did hold her hand and talk about raunchy things to each other.

Most of the girls online were random, In February of 2012, when I found out about everything and confronted him one last time. (I had found out little things prior and confronted him about them prior and he lied to me, he admitted to one).

I was getting ready to call it quits, because I was fed up and had enough of being lied to and cheated on. He said that he would change, and that the reason he felt the way he did was because I had a very bad temper and felt like I didn't want him. Even though I was with him. He said he wanted to change who he was and not be that person anymore.

I have been very paranoid, and he has been there for me, for about 6 months he has been there and had been faithful. Things are starting to get stressful again in the house I live in. And I'm getting ready to go in for surgery.

He has been doing well so far, and has been staying by my side, but I'm worried that this won't last and that when I have surgery , he will go back into his old habits.

How do I trust him? Should I trust him?
2
2