Do you fear for your privacy with modern technology?

I've seen it again and again. Every time a new technology is released, countless people decry it as an invasion of privacy.

Every week I see a new article about how terrified people are of how Facebook or Google is collecting personal information about them.

It's only going to get "worse" from here, with things like driverless cars, Google Glass, the new Xbox Kinect and computers being installed in just about every appliance you can think of.

Personally, I don't really have a problem with it. They may be collecting information about me as a person, but it's got nothing to do with me specifically. Any personal information they collect from me is just part of an algorithm along with millions of other people's personal information. It's used to research and develop more effective technologies that better serve those of us that use them.

From what I've seen, people seem to be under the impression that there's a building somewhere with a bunch of greasy nerds in it, sorting through Facebook bikini pictures and tracking your every move with your smartphone like a stalker.

So I'm wondering, does it make you uncomfortable knowing that somewhere in Google HQ there's a server with a file with your name on it? Does the thought of a future where your every move is being stored on a hard drive sound unpleasant, even despite the possible technological advancements?
+1 y
link

link

link

A few examples of what I'm talking about
4
5