He says he cares for me and wants to be with me but he doesn't want to break up with his girlfriend because he doesn't want to hurt her?

So me and this guy knew of each other for years and eventually started dating. We dated for a while but we also kept our lives independently from each other. He was not at a good place in his life financially or emotionally and he wanted a future and something serious with me. I didn't know this because he never opened up to me that he felt so seriously about us. Needless to say we stopped talking and went on about our lives. I eventually married but I never got over him before and even after I was married. My husband abused me so I left him and got a divorce. Now we are back talking as friends again except he has a girlfriend now. He told me he still has the same feelings for me but I really hurt him when I moved on and got married. His girlfriend has cheated on him twice and hit him in the face twice. He says he wants to break up with her but doesn't want to hurt her. He says he doesn't trust her and doesn't feel the way he should about her. Yet, he won't break up with her because she really loves him and doesn't want to hurt her. He says he's waiting for something else to happen so he can break up with her. If I didn't already have feelings for him I wouldn't even want to be with him since he has a girlfriend. Should I be his friend and wait for him? Should I tell him that he wants to be with her so I'm leaving him alone? What should I do? I love him but I respect the fact that he has a girlfriend to let anything happen between us. I really want to be with him. If we hadn't been together before I would assume he was a player but I know he's not. We had something good and real.
2
1