Boyfriend vs. Guy friend: Was he subsituting for where my boyfriend should've been?

Anonymous
My boyfriend and I each drive but don't own cars we take public transit because that's what's affordable right now.

We belong to a group along with many friends of ours. Our group recently hosted a meeting in a not so good area of town. My boyfriend ended up getting a ride but I took the bus. When I arrived he asked how I got there I told him the bus all he said was oh.

This is a pretty run down area where you don't really want to be alone especially as a young woman even in the day time.
He had to go to work after and rode with the same friends, they left early in a full care.

Beofre leaving he was irritated not with me but the meeting he didn't say anything to me but bye no I love you, be safe, or anything. (We usually say those things no matter where we are)

He texted me imediately I thought it would say those things but no he asked about the meeting. He left early because his ride was leaving. Afterwards I walked to the bus stop by myself but then along came one of my guy friends from the group and he waited with me, even missed another bus he could've taken so he could wait/ride with me. I thought this was really nice of him he's an old friend.

Should my boyfriend have been in his role? Or is it wrong of me to expect that of him?
1
1