Did he lose interest in me?

This guy at my school approached me a couple of times and then he started texting me and we've been texting for a couple of weeks. and we smile at each other at school, and he seemed very interested in me in the beginning. but then he hadn't texted me for 5 days so I ended up texting him yesterday instead and he didn't really initiate conversation with me, and he told me it was because he was watching a soccer game, and that he'd text me after the game, but he never ended up texting me. Then I saw him today at school talking to his ex gf.

Why did he all of the sudden lose interest in me? how can I make him chase me again?

11