Should I buy him a gift or not?

In fact, I like a guy. We go the same university but different faculties that's why we dont meet a lot but we chat almost everyday. We are " friends". His birthday is in two weeks. I ordered a gift specialized for him not fancy or expensive at all but it's cute. I asked my sister who is older than me by 10 years, she told me dont give him a gift just say happy birthday because that will show that u like him. Also told me that she won't gift a guy unless she knew him for a long time. I know this guy for 3 month. should I give him the gift or not 😔.
(Ps: the gift is a board to be hung written on it "eng. his name's room because he studies engineering) what exactly should i do? :/

10