What do you feel about a 29 year old guy sobbing in public?

It is a 'norm' for men to hide their emotions or not shed tears, because the cruel society considers these acts as 'unmanly' (since men are supposed to be robots having no emotions).

Having said that... I 'unfortunately' happen to be a sensitive and emotional man. I'm not a pushover , and I can certainly fight tooth and nail for myself and my close ones when the situation arises. I'm just more in touch with my 'human' self, than most other men.

I have been through some real crap. I have no friends to hang out with, so I usually go to entertainment areas such as movies, malls, parks and restaurants alone. Not bars or nightclubs, because I don't drink. Often, I just sit my by myself, with my headphones on. And without my knowledge, I sob silently to myself and shed a few tears, but I try my best to 'hide' them from people around me (who are strangers to me anyway). I do get nasty glances sometimes, when people realize that it is an adult man sobbing to himself.

So what would be your first reaction if you saw me at some upmarket, possibly expensive public place, sobbing softly to myself with my headphones on? Would you think of me as not being 'man enough'? Do you simply ignore me? Would you feel some sort of sympathy? Or would you go to the extent of coming over and ask me if something's wrong?

Both men and women are welcome to answer.

P. S. I never go around seeking pity, nor do I tell anyone of my general sadness unless they specifically ask me.
People, PLEASE, for heaven;s sake, READ the description before answering. If you don't have the patient to read it all, kindly refrain from answering.
I suppose 'sobbing' is not the right word. I reside in a third world country and English is not my primary language, so i didn't know the subtle difference between sobbing, crying and weeping.

So please replace 'sobbing' with 'crying silently' in my original question, and answer accordingly.

137

Most Helpful Girl

• I heard that laughter was the best medicine. I'll purposely go by your table and make you laugh your ass off 😜 :-P When I was going through anxiety/depression, I watched comedies and vines. Believe it or not, it helped. Provided you have some sense of humour.

• I think he should become a she male :)

• We'll mesh well than :) Yeah, it's a mindset.

• Thanks for MHO

Most Helpful Guy

• You're repeatedly crying in public. No matter what you want to say to paint yourself the victim of sexist attitudes about male weakness, you are putting yourself in position to be noticed because you DO want to draw attention to yourself (yes, I'm calling you a liar). I think it's pathetic, and it would be so whether it were a man or a woman.

In any case, in your hypothetical scenario I would have no idea what happened -- you might have just found out your girlfriend had cheated on you for all I know -- so I'd feel sympathy but leave you to your sorrow. If I kept encountering you and seeing you crying though, my perception would quickly change.

Before you set up your straw man, I never said there was anything wrong with a guy crying. I do it too. Bad things happen. Confluences of unfavorable events can be overwhelming. It happens. The issue here is that you are framing that within a scenario where it is no longer just about you being sad/miserable/overwhelmed; it's now also about putting yourself in positions to let people know it so that you can have people elsewhere validate your role as victim of society's sexist attitudes.

• No, I don't cry repeatedly. Its just that when I'm not doing anything else, I just feel really depressed and sad. It is not the problem when I''m occupied with something.

Considering that I have a full time job and prefer o stay at home on Sundays, it is only on Saturdays that I remain out in public long enough to sometimes become emotional. Doesn't happen repeatedly. Far from it.

• I mean... it is not like every time I step out in the public, I cry.