Do guys really think women wear makeup for them?

I've seen a lot of guys comment on makeup posts and say they prefer their women without makeup. Well, I'm sorry to tell you we don't wear it for you. We wear it because it makes US feels better and its fun to put on.
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• You do ultimately wear it for men. It may not be a conscious choice each time you put it on, but the fact that makeup exists in the first place, and is worn almost exclusively by women, is because society determines a hypothetical woman's value according to how attractive and feminine she is in the eyes of the hypothetical man. Gender based fashion practices are inextricably linked to courtship ritual.

2|0
    0|0
    • It's not "exclusively" for women, some men wear makeup.

• Show All
    • I said *almost* exclusively.

Pretty much the only men who wear makeup are flamingly effeminate GBTs and people in show business, and that makeup is worn for technical reasons.

Show me an advertising campaign for makeup targeting straight men and I might change my mind.

• @sweetnovella

I understand what you're saying. My point is that those beauty standards exist in the first place as part of the social standard courtship ritual. Even when you wear the makeup for your peers, the standards you're sharing among your peers derive from the courtship ritual.

It's the same way with guys playing the macho games we play. Even when we play those roles just among guy friends, the roles derive from what we believe makes us masculine, and by extension attractive to the feminine. Women may not be present, but the behaviors exist because of them.

Most Helpful Girl

• Men still think we do, no matter how many times their told. Well a lot of them anyway.
    Funny then that I am much more likely to wear make up to hang out with my girl friends but when I am with a guy or around a guy I'm with no make up and hair done simply.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 15

• I used to believe girls wear makeup because they hate themselves and the way they look.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm aware.

I'm also aware that most guys saying they don't like it are actually saying they don't like obvious weird and poorly applied makeup. Because they seem to go for girls with well done makeup all the time.

1|2
    0|0
  • Why does it make you feel better? Aren't you comfortable with your own skin, with how you look? Why do you have to change the way you look?
    Enhancing some features is great, but totally changing why you look? Why?

1|0
    0|0
    • It's honestly just fun and it's my body and if I want to have rainbow eyeshadow I'm going to have it.

• @_lovii_ In your case you do it for fun, and I'm not saying anything against that. But I've heard so many girls complain about having to put on makeup: "Well, us girls have to put on makeup every morning, and that's a pain in the ass 'cause it takes a lot of time". I've heard this phrase so much that I hardly believe they do it for fun.

• Oh yeah, those girls.
      Hate them too 😋

• it´s an irrefutable fact that making herself attactive is courtship behavior of most species, even the human one. who do you try to fool here? :P

it´s like guys saying "i want this sixpack just for me, because i love sixpacks" nonsense !

1|1
    1|0
  • "We wear it because it makes US feels better and its fun to put on." <--- isn't it a time consumer?

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think we really care who it's for. just sometimes it's just bad, pointless, impractical, etc and we speak our opinion

1|0
    0|0
  • Women wear it to look pretty. They want to be pretty to get attention from men, since female self esteem relies on male attention. It's been like this for heck knows how many centuries. It's that simple, really.

Everything else is just a delusion.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have always felt that women wore makeup for themselves. Most guys appreciate it when it's applied correctly ( not over done ). I can't answer for other guys but that's my thoughts

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never really thought that they do it specifically for guys.

I've always thought it was because they want to look attractive to everyone, including their friends, strangers and yes guys too.

What I don't understand is when girls are putting it on for guys (going out to a club or bar to meet guys), a lot of them cake it on. Just remember, make-up is to look more attractive, but it itself is not and attractive thing to guys.

I also hate how girls feel insecure and self-concious without make-up. Its like, "Oh no! can't let anyone see the real me! I need my mask!"

But anyways, no I don't think girls do it just for guys. They want to look good in front of their friends and out in public. So do guys. Even though we don't wear make-up, we still want to look good always.

Hope this helps :)

2|1
    0|0
  • Actually
    the majority of times men say that... is when asked by women

0|0
    0|0
  • I'll never be convinced that you don't do it for us

0|1
    1|0
  • You've officially crushed my ego :'(

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't care about makeup.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, I know that. Just like men don't bodybuild for women neither.

0|0
    1|0
  • Now ask yourself "Why does it make you feel better?", Does it make you feel more beautiful? "So who would see that beauty and judge you on it?"... Exactly...

1|4
    0|0
    • The point is we don't wear it for you.

• Show All
    • You're completely accurate. @Anon

• What's in the mason jars?

What Girls Said 9

• I wear it for guys.
    What's wrong with that?
    I mean are we really going to buy that fem BS
    do it for yourself
    I do it to be noticed
    by guys
    And yeah
    girls too
    Who doesn't like a handsome person

1|3
    1|0
  • The guys I asked growing up said yes we thought girls wore it to impress us. Yes that is partly true but tbh bros I wear it to make myself look prettier haha hardly any girl is flawless without makeup like little girls are and once you go through puberty and life you don't have flawless faces xD

0|0
    0|0
    • PREACH girl. Guys need to get over themselves and stop thinking we do everything for them.

• Haha for real though sure we want to show you our pretty face but we like it for us mainly no offense guys!

• Some do, some don't. smart ones realize we don't wear it for them.

1|0
    0|2
  • aha yer i wear make up cause im used to it, i dont go out without it -.- its quite sad ahhahha

0|0
    0|0
  • They think everything we do is for them

1|0
    1|2
  • I pressed the wrong one, dammit

0|0
    0|0
  • I wear makeup to brighten up my tired face. Not for a man. <3

0|0
    0|0
  • Guys always think everything is about them, pfft...

0|0
    0|0
  • Some guys think that everything we do is for them. Some do anyway. For example, I was complaining to my guy friend about how I hated being tall. He said that guys really like tall girls. I tried explaining to him that I honestly don't care what guys like, because it's not what i like. And another thing is that my boobs are kinda big, and I hate it! But again I get that same response-most guys love girls with big boobs. People just need to understand that my life and my opinion doesn't change because of what GUYS like. And again I know that not every guy thinks this way, but the majority of them that I know do.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes