Do guys really think women wear makeup for them?

I've seen a lot of guys comment on makeup posts and say they prefer their women without makeup. Well, I'm sorry to tell you we don't wear it for you. We wear it because it makes US feels better and its fun to put on.
  • Yes
  • No

1016

Most Helpful Guy

• You do ultimately wear it for men. It may not be a conscious choice each time you put it on, but the fact that makeup exists in the first place, and is worn almost exclusively by women, is because society determines a hypothetical woman's value according to how attractive and feminine she is in the eyes of the hypothetical man. Gender based fashion practices are inextricably linked to courtship ritual.

• It's not "exclusively" for women, some men wear makeup.

• I said *almost* exclusively.

Pretty much the only men who wear makeup are flamingly effeminate GBTs and people in show business, and that makeup is worn for technical reasons.

Show me an advertising campaign for makeup targeting straight men and I might change my mind.

• @sweetnovella

I understand what you're saying. My point is that those beauty standards exist in the first place as part of the social standard courtship ritual. Even when you wear the makeup for your peers, the standards you're sharing among your peers derive from the courtship ritual.

It's the same way with guys playing the macho games we play. Even when we play those roles just among guy friends, the roles derive from what we believe makes us masculine, and by extension attractive to the feminine. Women may not be present, but the behaviors exist because of them.

Most Helpful Girl

• Men still think we do, no matter how many times their told. Well a lot of them anyway.
    Funny then that I am much more likely to wear make up to hang out with my girl friends but when I am with a guy or around a guy I'm with no make up and hair done simply.