Is it possible that I get TOO MUCH respect from guys?

I get a tremendous amount of respect from guys. I'm quick-witted. I write comedy, perform sketch comedy, do film production, model, act, etc.

But I'm pretty sure respect does not mean a guy wants to date me.

I've had to encourage guys to date me all my life. I was in one major relationship. And maybe he didn't really even love me? Without me encouraging us to date? Who knows.

If you have any advice, post away! Thanks,

29

Most Helpful Guy

• Respect and love (or attraction) aren't mutually exclusive.

It seems to me like a lot of girls think that guys can't be attracted to a girl who is more accomplished than they are and usually attribute it to guys needing a helpless, damsel in distress. Actually, it's often the guy thinking that the girl wouldn't be attracted to him that leads to a lack of action on his part. Guys have similar beliefs. What would a highly successful woman see in such an ordinary guy? Surely she could have anyone she wanted, right?

Despite what the women's magazine's advice columns will tell you, it's not true that a guy will always approach you if he's attracted to you without fail. We're not robots. We have hangups and baggage and reservations, too. And if you're a particularly beautiful, talented or successful woman, the more of it you're going to run into, unfortunately.

I don't have much advice other than not to pretend to be someone else. Don't hide what you're proud of. There are plenty of guys who will like you for you.

Also, there is no shame in encouraging a guy or taking the wheel in an interaction. Chasing a guy or even helping him out doesn't make you any less of a woman. The amount of hoops a guy jumps through to be with you is not a barometer of your worth or attractiveness.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sorry but I would not be complaining about that subject if I were you.

• I'm just trying to figure out if my datelessness is related. Maybe I'm TOO much on the hard side of the "easy to hard" woman spectrum.

• I don't know really, maybe your the kind of person that deserves lots of respect.. I'm not sure if the dating thing is related tho

• Hmm.