Is it possible that I get TOO MUCH respect from guys?

I get a tremendous amount of respect from guys. I'm quick-witted. I write comedy, perform sketch comedy, do film production, model, act, etc.

But I'm pretty sure respect does not mean a guy wants to date me.

I've had to encourage guys to date me all my life. I was in one major relationship. And maybe he didn't really even love me? Without me encouraging us to date? Who knows.

If you have any advice, post away! Thanks,

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Respect and love (or attraction) aren't mutually exclusive.

It seems to me like a lot of girls think that guys can't be attracted to a girl who is more accomplished than they are and usually attribute it to guys needing a helpless, damsel in distress. Actually, it's often the guy thinking that the girl wouldn't be attracted to him that leads to a lack of action on his part. Guys have similar beliefs. What would a highly successful woman see in such an ordinary guy? Surely she could have anyone she wanted, right?

Despite what the women's magazine's advice columns will tell you, it's not true that a guy will always approach you if he's attracted to you without fail. We're not robots. We have hangups and baggage and reservations, too. And if you're a particularly beautiful, talented or successful woman, the more of it you're going to run into, unfortunately.

I don't have much advice other than not to pretend to be someone else. Don't hide what you're proud of. There are plenty of guys who will like you for you.

Also, there is no shame in encouraging a guy or taking the wheel in an interaction. Chasing a guy or even helping him out doesn't make you any less of a woman. The amount of hoops a guy jumps through to be with you is not a barometer of your worth or attractiveness.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Sorry but I would not be complaining about that subject if I were you.

0|0
    0|1
    • I'm just trying to figure out if my datelessness is related. Maybe I'm TOO much on the hard side of the "easy to hard" woman spectrum.

• I don't know really, maybe your the kind of person that deserves lots of respect.. I'm not sure if the dating thing is related tho

• Hmm.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• Well either you're hideous or really intimidating... Not trying to be a dick but I can't see it being anything else.

0|0
    0|0
    • Intimidating. Thanks!

• can you give a few examples of what you have to undergo during "too much respect"

0|0
    0|0
    • They always tell me I inspire them and they are constantly stealing my hobbies and implementing my creative ideas.

• they probably respect you because they like the ideas you give them and they come back for more.

• They don't like come back. It's just random. Like if they overhear something.

Either way, I'm going to be single for several more years. Thanks!

• There is never such a thing as too much respect.

0|0
    0|0
  • Omg I love you. May I steal your hobbies?

0|0
    0|0
  • Humility goes a long way with people, especially guys. Guys say they want strong women but biology usually takes them (masculine guys) in the direction of more feminine females. This doesn't mean that guys don't respect independence but they do want females to treat them and make them feel as men. It's just natural. It triggers something primal. It's hard to explain.

Be the type of woman that makes men into something more, the whole "behind every great man is a great woman" concept, and they will be drawn to you like a magnet. That does NOT mean you can't be great also it just means your focus is more selfless.

Men have certain things they like. They/we have patterns that are largely inescapable because they are biological. You can either fight that truth or accept it. The former of which will save you a lot of time.

0|0
    0|0
  • How many guys do you turn down?

0|0
    0|0
    • I never get asked out. (Ok this one time at a gas station I did.) That's why I posted this question. They all seem nervous around me like I can see right through them.

• Show All
    • It won't let me Ping you or follow you. Sorry. :(

• I have updated my settings to allow messages from strangers.

• They respect your ideas. If they steal them and you do not confront them, they do not respect you they are paying your lip service.

The question of dating these so called men is a simple one, they are intimidated by your intelligence. They are afraid of someone who is better at what they do.

Men do not mature until later in life.

0|0
    0|0
    • It's not a legal issue.

• Some of these guys are 40! Isn't that mature enough? I'm turning 30 this year.

• I wasn't thinking legal and no some men never mature, a lot of men dont mature until their 40s if not later

• Too much respect, not enough respect, just shut up already women.

0|0
    0|1
    • "Should I be nice, should I be a jerk?" --Shuddup already guys.

What Girls Said 1

Recommended myTakes