How to know if a guy wants sex or something else?

I've had some pretty bad run ins with guys. One asked me on a date (I wasn't interested in him), and by the end he told me he was just planning on fucking me but backed out.
Another I thought he was into me he bought me stuff, had me meet his friends, had me hang out with him and his cousins. But then told me he just wanted something easy.

I'm going on a date with a guy I met on Tinder. He's older and graduated from college (I'm still a student), and he seems nice. We're going to get sushi and a movie. But, I want to know if there's any way to figure out what a guy wants? Or any way to ask without scaring the guy off?

02