I think I should really give up on this guy?

So long story short, I thought this guy at my gym had interest in me because he looks at me often, usually for a bit, he is usually around me "eg couple meters away" and his friend/s look at me often but only when "he" is there
So I finally had the balls to talk to him "max a month ago" for a bit and he responded nicely since he gave me eye contact and smiled a lot but when I talked to him the second time "for his name only, I didn't have time" he didn't smile but gave me eye contact. From this I thought he lost interest but still till now he hasn't done anything other than looking etc
I admit I don't really look at him or smile which isn't that great but my bro said that doesn't matter because if he had interest he would do something since its been awhile when you talked to him and I said maybe it's because I'm usually around you "as in my bro" and the unwritten rules of gym but he said hey, you talked to him when I was there so me being around shouldn't really matter plus if he really was interested he would ask me if you "me" were my sis plus smiling and eye contact doesn't really matter either since smiling back is a natural reaction so that can't really define it.

I feel kinda lost and today at gym he kept looking and came around me "3-4 meters away" plus his two mates did look often too plus I did make eye contact with him for at least 2secs but neither of us smiled at each other

So now I'm kinda down because this sounds true and reasonable
Should I stop and move on? What should I do?
What would you do in my situation?
I hear comments and opinions from both side but what should I do?

11