Why does he care?

So the guy I've been seeing for 2 years broke up with me. He needed space and wasn't sure he wanted 2 be in a relationship.
So we recently have been communicating like old times and after months he agreed to see me. He asked when and I told him (now) today. He said he was helping a friend. Which after our conversation i found out it was a female. He had been helping her all morning and into the evening. I asked if he was dating or seeing her or anyone else. He said no she's just a friend and he cares about her but not like that so he wanted to see me the following day. Then he asked me if I believed him. (Why?) I told him it doesn't matter what I think he's just going to do what he wants. He asked me again if I believed him. I just told him it doesn't matter and if he has no intentions of us reconciling and if im just holding on to hope then tell me to leave him alone. He said I wasn't and it would be really nice to see me and he was being honest. I just left it at ok.
why does he care if I believe him if after 3 months of him being so distant and cold? And why is it that when I say if he doesn't know what he wants then I will leave him alone for good he always says no and it doesn't mean he doesn't want anything to do with me?

10