GUYS! I am so confused about this guy. Help?

So I'm a senior in high school and there's this guy who's in one of my classes that I have gotten close to. He's super quiet, he is known for that and has not dated a girl for a long time, doesn't even have a friend that's a girl besides me... Anyways, the beginning of the year, he messaged me and gave me his number on Twitter, surprisingly. We had a little thing going on afterwards. We flirted and texted a lot. I started to develop feelings for him and he told me he liked me. Then, we had sex. Yes I know it was quick, but we had sex. He would still talk to me actually but then he stopped out of nowhere. A few months passed and I'm sure he's hooked up with other girls. We started talking again and we had sex again, and then a third time. And it wasn't awkward. We would actually talk about things, a little about our personal lives, and we would laugh together like no other. He was himself around me, as I was the same. It was great because a very few people usually see this side of him. We were both comfortable with each other. I stopped expecting from him too. We were both using each other because I don't want a relationship, I have no time for all that lovey dovey bullshit and I love being independent and "free". And I guessed he wanted the same. One day he sorta opened up to me and told me that relationships weren't for him because he was "broken" from his last one. And I knew that because I remembered his ex used him. He also said he has pushed a girl that he liked a lot away because he didn't want a relationship. Anyways we became good friends. We would still flirt and such. last Friday he wanted to have sex after school. So that day I asked if he still wanted to and he said no because his mom was home and because he didn't want to complicate things. He said "I like having you as a friend." And so I was actually pretty happy with this, but why would he still flirt with me and then change his mind and pushes me away? He does this a lot.. I don't get him?
I'm just confused because I'm pretty sure you wouldn't flirt and want to have sex with just anybody? Right?

01