How do women feel about video-games, and men who play them?

I'm a gamer; it's what I enjoy doing quite a bit. :) I've been a gamer since about the age of 9 when my mom brought home a Super Nintendo with Donkey Kong Country (BEST GAME EVER FOR THAT SYSTEM!), and from then on I was hooked. A year or so passed and we got a PlayStation 1 - MGS1, Gran Turismo, the original Tomb Raider, and Spyro... ah, fond memories. ^_^ Well anyway, for years I've always felt that everyone else hates video games and prefers outdoor/other hobbies - that there's a stigma in our culture about video games.
Household video games were kinda new in the 90's, so many kids (like myself prior) played outside/did other things (I was big into arts/crafts/drawing/legos). Now-days though, video games involve complex stories, loads of depth, character development, musical scores, life-like graphics, originality, not to mention the level of customization, and obvious interactivity.
I used to feel ashamed if a girl (or even an employer recently) asked me what I liked to do for fun, rushing over 'video games' and listing another hobby. :/ I don't feel that way anymore. :) Take Skyrim for example. Lots of girls LOVE Skyrim! The Elder Scrolls games are very much liked. Stereotypically, women enjoy reading more (?) than men (might be stretch there). Why do women (or men) enjoy reading? As for me, video games are similar to many books, both featuring of a few key elements as I listed above. There isn't a stigma about reading (as far as I've seen anyway), so why is one hobby viewed differently that the other (my perception)? I enjoy video games for many of the same reasons as to why women (generally) enjoy books - the overall plot, setting, character development, interactivity, diversity, (and other story elements). Skyrim is a good example of those qualities.

To conclude, I've grown far less ashamed of my enjoyment of video games in recent years.

Every gamer would love a spouse who's a gamer, too. :D
What are your guy's/gal's thoughts on the matter? :)
(reposting as 'Question')

151

Most Helpful Girl

• I would love a gamer guy. I love playing video games.