Do you feel chivalry is dead (or has changed within the last few generations) and why?

hello everyone, I'm new to this site and found the idea intriguing. I thought I'd ask a question that I've heard many people comment on which is, chivalry is dead. I myself try to be as gentlemanly and courteous as possible to others, but I don't see a lot of examples of this in guys (or girls?) my age. then again just because I don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. So what is your take on this?
  • Yes chivalry is dead.
  • Chivalry is not dead.
  • chivalry has changed.
    Vote C
alrighty, well if gender roles and norms have changed, how do they in turn effect chivalry?

also to everyone who answers, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. its much appreciated.

47

Most Helpful Guy

• As a previous poster indicated, gender roles have changed.

Chivalry has evolved. Let's face it, it has its origins in a code of conduct for knights. Back when women didn't "work" and there were different expectations of the genders.

I have held a door for a woman at a store and had the woman scold me that she was perfectly capable of opening the door herself. Probably an ultra-feminist and she took it as an insult. However, for the most part, if you hold a door for ANYONE they thank you.

I have even had kids hold a door for me. So in that respect it isn't dead. It's a matter of manners that are imparted to children and how they grow up.

I always open a car door for a woman. I hold doors for strangers. I clean the snow off a girlfriend's car, etc. It's just how I was raised. It is second nature and not a burden or anything I think of as an extraordinary thing.

• I completely agree with everything you have said. I too was raised the same way. This might sound weird but do you ever feel or have ever felt taken for granted? I'm just curious.

• Yes I have felt that way. With one past girlfriend in particular. I didn't let it stop me though.

With that said, most of the things I do/did are just second nature. I don't expect praise or anything and I personally think nothing of doing the things. You don't do them for the praise or the appreciation so you generally don't concern yourself with no acknowledgment of the acts. It's hard to explain I suppose but I guess you do the things to be nice to people. You don't expect to be praised for being nice but after a couple years of doing nice things for someone you kind of feel that a decent person would say SOMETHING rather than act as though you've done nothing.

In a way I guess it seems selfish to expect praise. However, I think it isn't praise but rather acknowledgement that can be lacking. A decent person would acknowledge your kind acts. Kind of like holding a door for someone yet they cannot even squeak out a "thank you." But you move forward and continue.

• once again I have to say I agree with you.