How often do guys cheat?

does it happen a lot. if so, why?
Updates:
This question has SOOO many answers! I'd close it but people keep answering!

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• A group cheats constantly. Another groups cheats on occasion. Another group cheats once, learns their lesson, and they never do it again. There's a group that doesn't actually cheat, but might "emotionally cheat" or they have issues with a wandering eye. Then there's a group of guys who never cheat. All kinds of guys.

Being a guy who hasn't cheated, I can give you theories on why some guys cheat, (or why girls cheat) but I still really don't "get it." I figure that if you want someone else that badly, you break up with the first person before messing with the second.

I've never cheated. I've been cheated on. Had my second "girlfriend" been able to get away with it, I have an idea she would have cheated pretty quickly.

I don't cheat; not because of a sudden epiphany, but because I feel like I don't need to. Because I know how to treat women, as far as that goes.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 73

• A real man will never cheat. Just like a real woman will never cheat. And it is way worse when a woman cheats since a guy can have sex without any emotion involved. but a woman usually needs an emotional connection.
    I was with my ex wife 25 years. I never cheated on her. I knew her exactly 1 month before going into the military. when I got out of basic training (anyone can get laid in tech school) I was offered sex by 5 single women plus two women that wanted a threesome. and I mean several handed me the key to a room and said meet me at xx time. I turned every one of them down. I knew my ex 1 month but knew I wanted to marry her.
    she cheated on me at least the last 2 years of our marriage, probably during the entire marriage. I told her I couldn't do it after 30 days, how can she do it after 25 years... she didn't have an answer...

8|1
    0|0
    • I'm sorry dude. But don't worry karma is a bitch

• there needs to be more people like you in this world!!

• Oh, all the time, since we're obviously all just pieces of shit. Every single one us.

1|7
    0|0
  • I haven't had sex in two years, I still haven't cheated. I'm going insane, I am completely miserable and I'm rejected daily. Still no cheating. Some guys get sex regularly and they cheat. Personally I don't get it. If you have sex on tap then hold onto that. I'm about ready to kill myself, literally, but still won't cheat. Even having a wife at home that has no regard for the fact this is killing me, I still won't go have sex with another woman. So it's a question that is hard to answer. Some guys do it a lot, others allow themselves to be celibate and completely miserable instead of cheating. Ask yourself who you want though... do you want a guy that just does everything you say and will essentially just forgo his own needs like a yes-man just so you can treat him however you like? Or would you like a guy that can be dominant and assert himself? You can't really have both, you just have to take a risk. I'm a broken man, and you don't want one of those. Especially if you're the one to make him that way.

1|1
    0|0
  • Guys cheat as often as women do, if you only look at the total number of cheating incidents. That makes sense, because it always takes 2 to do the deed. More men than women will cheat at some time, but the women who cheat do it more often. About 2/3 as many women will cheat, compared to the number of men who ever do.
    How many actually cheat at some time depends on many factors, including location, religion, etc. You can find online questions that asses a person's likelihood of cheating. More physically attractive people are much more likely to cheat, especially if they deal with the public in their occupation. Religious men are more likely to cheat than atheists, but only because atheists are on average more intelligent by 6 IQ points and intelligent men cheat less.
    Most surveys claim that about 30% of men will cheat in marriage at some time, but some surveys claim closer to 50%.
    Women who cheat in marriage usually begin at about the 5 year mark. 50% of wives will have turned off the sex with hubby (for all practical purposes) by about the 4 year mark. Very few women (about 20%) can stay in love with the same man forever, even if he's a better man than ever before. Some women take longer than 4 years, but it's instinctive and a result of evolution, and they can't change it. www.macleans.ca/culture/books/the-two-year-itch/
    Men who cheat in marriage generally begin after the 10 year mark. Many of them would have been totally rejected by wifey for 5 or 6 years, while she may or may not be banging some other man. Men still need sex to remain physically and emotionally healthy, and if the wife they love is rejecting them they will eventually find it elsewhere.

There will always be some who are just compulsive cheaters, and will cheat no matter how good things are at home. I believe they are a very small minority.

0|0
    0|0
  • Men cheat as often as women, so it happens a lot. I know a lot of people that have been cheated on by every partner they have ever had, regardless of gender. Few people are faithful, and most of the ones that claim they have always been faithful are lying. Women of course feel a greater pressure to lie about their past sex life, which is the only reasons most studies show women barely lagging behind men when it comes to cheating.

The reasons why men cheat are for the same reasons that women cheat. It is because they are selfish bastards, that think they are going to get away with it. They can justify it any other way they want, but that is really all it comes down to.

3|1
    1|1
    • Excellent!!! It's like you read my mind

• I think the worst feeling in the world is when you find out that you were the one that someone cheated on their partner with.

• Yeah, ik. thats what Im really worried about and its like this guy came out of no where!

• Some guys cheat always. Some guys cheat never. Some guys cheat when the opportunity presents itself. Very few are immune to the temptation over the course of the relationship. I mean, I've gone on business trips and had women very, very, very aggressively invite me from the hotel gym or bar back to their room. I love my wife too much to ever consider acting on that, but the opportunity has presented itself.

0|0
    0|0
    • You're a good man. I hope to be able to resist such temptation when I decide to get married. Props for being a good role model for fellow men.

• It all comes down to this. At the end of the day, if a woman is coming on to me strong, I objectively look at it... what do I have to gain? Fleeting carnal pleasure. A couple dozen minutes of physical pleasure coupled with 10 seconds of sheer ecstasy... orgasms are fun-- don't get me wrong. What do I have to lose? A marriage built on trust to a woman I love who is the mother of my children. Potentially HALF of all of my assets. Custody of my children. Health (if you don't know the person, you don't know what they MAY have... herpes can spread VERY easily and be unnoticeable). Dignity. It's just not worth it. So when that happens, I politely tell the lady that she is beautiful, but that out of respect for her and my wife, I cannot play outside of my marriage. I then leave if I must to escape the temptation and go back to my room to whack off and relieve any sexual tension. Then I'm home with a clean conscious and get to ravage my wife time and again, which is a much better deal imho.

• i wish i could tell the entire world that!!

• guys cheat once every two years :) was that the answer that you were expecting or something? Some of us do and the rest are loyal affff + there is nothing such as a period of time were all the men cheat so u cannot ask such question.

0|0
    0|1
    • I'm not saying all men do. How do i find someone "loyal"

• dont go for a bad guy , make sure that he is serious about the relationship , try to know something about the guy before going for him (you're probably in high school so , ask ur friends about the guy that u wanna talk to and see what u get ) but dont depend majorly on that cuz some of them might lie to keep u away from him ,, to keep him for herself... the bitch :P

• A small group cheat all the time.

A larger group cheat only in unusual circumstances. And another large group never do.

0|1
    0|0
  • My attitude is, if I wanted to sleep around, I would not commit in the first place.

Guys that cheat have not understood that. Very simple, yet incomprehensibly difficult to understand, it seems.

Then there are guys that are just retarded - not a shortage of them, I might add.

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't say the odds or the rate that a guy would differ any from a woman / women. Both have the same basic need to be accepted or wanted by the opposite sex , some just pursue it while others don't. If a persons present relationship is lacking a vital part of what makes a person feel complete that person may be prone to find it somewhere else. But again that is true for both men and women alike.

0|0
    0|0
  • does it matter how often?
    Anyway, I gave the reasons for cheating in a couple of similar questions.

1. In a moment of weakness. The guy meets another girl and can't discipline himself to stay away from her and stay loyal to his partner. Usually this guy will reveal the secret to his partner and ask for forgiveness.

2. The guy is just a player and thinks only about himself. He fucks anything that is moving without any guilt. So, don't be with such guys.

1|1
    0|0
    • Women are exactly the same as us

• In a national study from harvard women cheat. Have hookups. Spontaneous stranger sex. More than men. Especially when they are in college... Also women nearly always lie to their guys about their sexual history. The most common answer is 5 to 15 dudes till the age of 30. Except for some nice girl and married exceptions, their common average is more like 25 to 50. They will never be honest about that number!

• L2, L2, R1, R2, left, down, right, up, left, down, right, up

PS2 bruhs know what I'm talking about

1|1
    0|0
  • i cheated on an ex. "cheat" is the wrong word since i was honest and told her about it the next day though. anyway guys get sick of hearing what a girl "wants" to do or "will" do. after a while we go out and do it ourselves. remember when u open ur mouth to try to make him happy the side effect of that.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you don't satisfy his desires, be it in bed or emotionally, or whatever, he'll have a larger tendency to cheat.

If you don't want guys to cheat, then have a consensual, open relationship.

0|0
    1|1
    • does that mean i dont care if he has sex with another woman?

• Show All
    • @insomniac11 Wow, what insight have you brought on me. Thank you for sharing in excplicit detail how I am wrong and thanks for showing the error of my ways with your fantastic comment.

"This guy is an idiot. Don't listen to him." - Insomniac11
      Inspiring Quote of the year. 2015.

Give this guy a medal.

• People with this guy's mentality are the reason that STDs are so widespread. Seriously, try to contradict me. I dare you.

• It all depends on the guy. I believe it's about 6/10 guys will cheat. It happens often because they feel unhappy but still isn't a liable excuse for doing it, it's horrible

0|0
    0|0
  • A lot of us cheat especially guys who can get girls. But usually beta males don't cheat. You can usually tell if you have a loyal guy though those are the ones that always cater to you. Girls cheat a lot too though. My friend once had a one night stand with a girl who was engaged

0|0
    1|0
  • I don't think that's the right question.
    The real question is why.

There are many reasons that people commit infidelity in their relationship. However, I think that aspect can be better handled than looking for someone else.
    Hell, at the very least, dump the person first.

0|0
    0|0
  • Usual every chance he gets if he's in the mood and it depends.

0|0
    0|1
    • how i see, after he cheats is he likely to keep the relationship with the girl he cheated with going? Probably if he thinks he can get away with it, right?

• Yes but what I'm saying is even if he's in a steady relationship with a girl he loves, he will still cheats whenever he can. If he's that type of guy. If he cheats on his girl friend with another girl, most likely he'll continue to do so if they get along.

• Both men and women cheat because there is something missing in their relationship and they look to someone else for that something that is missing.

0|1
    0|0
  • A late night knock at the door and an "I just want to talk to you for a second" can put a man in a uncompromising position.

It happens due to the thought of having it with multiple partners. Not a good thing tho.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes it happens a lot but in my opinion it all depends on that individual person's maturity level attitude and probably some form of outside influence that would have given them that attitude towards women.

0|0
    0|0
  • some guys never do, respectful guys never do. many times the very social people do, the jerks, the 'bad boys", because they are popular and they get what they want socially

0|0
    0|0
  • I would never even consider cheating. If i lost feelings for someone, i would just break up with them instead of using them. Cheating can't be justified in any situation.

0|0
    0|0
  • Less often than women or maybe I have been unlucky? Women seem to get some sort of buzz out of running the risk of getting caught out, maybe that goes for some guys too but I don't date guys.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have never cheated its disgusting and wrong its disrespectful and shameful playing with another girls emotions in the form of cheating and anyone who does cheat should rot for it

0|0
    0|0
    • yes! thank you! it's soo unethical, i dont know how so many people do it. What's next, are we going to grow babies in test tubes?

• As often as women do

Some people (men andwomen) cheat frequently

Some people make one time mistakes

The vast majority don't cheat at all

0|0
    0|0
    • really? vast majority doesn't? i might just regain faith in humanity!

• Women actually cheat more than men, men are just more likely to have multiple partners at a single time, ie; a mistress.

0|0
    0|0
  • oh i get my 5 a day, isn't that what the doctor says you should be getting

0|0
    0|0
  • Most men cheat because their relationships leave them unsatisfied so they just seek it out elsewhere.

0|1
    0|1
  • changes, a guy might cheat everyday, another would cheat every month, i wouldn't cheat at all... depends on the guy

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 21

• Women and Men cheat or shall I say boys and girls cheat because they are insecure about something, and they just cannot help themselves. I got cheated on, and I thought I was a really good girlfriend. I was loyal to him, cooked him nice meals, always there for him, good in the bedroom hahah.. the list goes on. You just cannot win sometimes. Karma is a bitch anyway ;)

0|1
    0|0
  • A lot lol
    I work at a coffee shop with other young women and you'll be surprised how many men try talking to us and evidently trying to get in our pants. Some even come in with their wives and kids sometimes. It's baffling. Sad really. I know these men didn't actually cheat and there's the "still got it/ego" debate but a few coworkers have actually messed with some so yeahh. . most will definitely go for it.

0|0
    0|0
  • You're making it sound like it's something all guys do. Please don't think like that.

2|4
    0|0
  • Yes. Yes. And yes. You don't know how many guys I know that were my friends that had girlfriends that tried to get with me or whatever. I was repulsed by it. Why would I want them if they were doing that to their girlfriend? I don't trust them now.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not all guys cheat, but there are some that do. I don't really know why, and they're pretty stupid if they do. Most of the reasons are because of temptation or maybe because his girlfriend lacks something he craves for, so he turns to someone else for it. Whether it's sex, closure, or someone who will listen to him.. That's all of the reasons I could think of.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yep - often.
    Because they're bored and/or because they don't have self control.

There usually isn't a deeper meaning to it at all - which is the saddest thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • a real man would never ever cheat, but sadly real men dont exist anymore :(

1|0
    0|4
    • she's right. Every man you know is just a figment of your imagination.

• Well then. I've never even considered cheating, and i thought i was a real man. But since ALL men aren't real, i guess I'm not either. Thanks for clearing that up

• well I don't know about you, but in MY experience with men, they always cheat. My father cheated on my mom many times and in the end they got divorced. My ex cheated me after being together for 2 years, my best friend's father cheated on her mother. the list goes on and on. I learned never to trust anyone completely in any of my relationships

• I think a lot do, but it's more of a certain type. You need to be careful of the type that people would normally assume would cheat, like the "players" because those are more likely to be unfaithful.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the guy. If you choose a good guy he will never cheat on you.

0|2
    0|0
  • Well its mostly the same guys cheating repeatedly. So not all guys cheat, but once they start they will most likely keep doing it.

0|0
    0|0
  • The percentage of men cheating is a little bit higher then women do.

0|0
    0|1
  • Depends on the guy. Some guys cheat every chance they get while others are faithful

0|1
    0|0
  • if a girl tries to seduce them on purpose hard to resist probably

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the guy, some do some dont. Dont just classify all guys as cheaters

0|0
    0|0
  • A bit of an irrational question.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not Just men its women too...

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on how cad is he.

0|0
    0|0
  • On my diet? Everyday, I'm not a diet.

0|0
    0|0
  • According to Twitter it's whenever the opportunity to do so arises. Lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Same amount and reason as women.

0|2
    0|0
  • Age has a lot to do with it. But as a former dancer I started to realize men do it a lot more then we think.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes