Guys why does it take a girl to leave you for you to realize what you had?

I had something going on with this guy, but it was mainly sexual. I wanted to hangout and spend time, but he just wanted sex. Now that I dropped him, told him I didn't want to talk anymore and SHOWED him how serious I was by not contacting him in the past 3 weeks now he's texting me telling me he miss me. I'm not buying it, so I didn't respond. My question is pretty straight forward like why does it take a girl to walk away and stop caring for the guy to realize what he had, then he comes running back?

10