High maintenance women?

Why are (some) guys so turned off when a woman is "high maintenance"? I was told that, because I'm too high maintenance, the guy I really like wouldn't give me a chance. I don't understand why it's such a bad thing?
Updates:
I take care of myself. If I were with anybody, all they'd need to do is be there for me as my partner, not someone to buy things for me to keep me happy. I dress nice? I wear makeup? That doesn't equate to me wanting to use up every penny in your wallet for some handbags at the mall. I make my own money, and I intend to use my own money. And I have no clue why it's so bad to look good for yourself or someone you like.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Because you are a pain in the ass, sorry.

High Maintenance women make me wait, they are always late, they are flaky, they whine a lot, they are superficial... and worst of all... they are probably disloyal.

They can also be really selfish

0|0
    0|0
    • I hate being late and in fact always come too early to anything. And I also hate cheaters because I've been cheated on before, it's disgusting and I don't see a point to it, so I'm pretty sure I'm more than loyal enough. Selfish doesn't even describe me, at least from what people have said. Maybe I'm just giving the guy I like the wrong impression lol. But, it's too bad because I don't see myself changing for anybody if it doesn't do any real good, especially if he's judging me without completely knowing me. Thanks for your answer, though, I appreciated your honesty.

• Show All
    • And by "girls like you" I mean the stereotype.

• I think you read too much into my update. When I said I use my money for myself, it isn't to splurge on things I don't need (for example, those handbags I mentioned). I treat myself every once in a while, I don't see that as such a bad thing. But, do I spend all of this money just so I could walk out into town wearing the "latest" whatever on my body just to feel good? No, that's just silly and quite idiotic.

As to what you said about judging others, I completely agree.

All in all, it's alright now, while I might have disagreed on small bits of what you've said, you've helped plenty, so thank you on that.

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe you should define what high maintenance means to you.

A friend of mine is very meticulous and will always find a way to take things the wrong way and blow it out of proportion. Her boyfriend, well us too, has to tiptoe around her and watch every word in every sentence he says to not offend her. That's high maintenance to me.

0|0
    0|0
    • I see high maintenance as someone who can physically take care of themselves and knows how to (with dressing, hair, makeup, etc.)

• that's self-reliant and fashionable

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• You are right that high maintenance can mean always wanting a guy to buy you thinks. It can also be emotionally high maintenance, which includes; playing mind games, starting drama, always breaking down and crying and expecting the guy to drop everything and spend hours/days comforting you, that can be just as draining.

0|0
    0|0
  • Someone that takes care of how they look is not high maintenance. Being high maintenance is when you want and ask for expensive stuff, and won't settle for something less than that. When you can only have a $40 steak instead of a $12 one. When you have to go always by car instead of sometimes by public transport. When she demands that you're available for her at any time of the day, no matter what.
    That's a high maintenance girl.
    You should ask that guy why he thinks of you as high maintenance, but I doubt he thinks it's because you try to look good, but because some aspects of your attitude give off that impression.

0|0
    0|0
  • My crush is a high maintenance type but still I love her n wanna be with her n I can fullfill all her needs

0|0
    1|2
  • I like high maintenance women. It shows me that they care about themselves.

0|0
    0|0
  • so i get you're financially independent. so you're emotionally draning?

0|0
    0|0
    • And what makes you say that?

• becayse you said it in your description, how are you high maintenence? like i m not even sure if you know what that is?

• No one wants a high main woman.

0|0
    0|0
  • Would you want to date someone you have to take care of constantly who has the interpersonal skills of a toddler in an adults body? If the answer is no then you wouldn't date a high maintenance woman.

0|0
    0|0
  • What sort of things make you "high maintenance".

If I'm having to put more in to you, than I do my 25 year old car, then you're too much work

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• I’m “high maintenance” but I don’t expect anyone to maintain It. But I also like women.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes