High maintenance women?

Why are (some) guys so turned off when a woman is "high maintenance"? I was told that, because I'm too high maintenance, the guy I really like wouldn't give me a chance. I don't understand why it's such a bad thing?
I take care of myself. If I were with anybody, all they'd need to do is be there for me as my partner, not someone to buy things for me to keep me happy. I dress nice? I wear makeup? That doesn't equate to me wanting to use up every penny in your wallet for some handbags at the mall. I make my own money, and I intend to use my own money. And I have no clue why it's so bad to look good for yourself or someone you like.

29

Most Helpful Guy

• Because you are a pain in the ass, sorry.

High Maintenance women make me wait, they are always late, they are flaky, they whine a lot, they are superficial... and worst of all... they are probably disloyal.

They can also be really selfish

• I hate being late and in fact always come too early to anything. And I also hate cheaters because I've been cheated on before, it's disgusting and I don't see a point to it, so I'm pretty sure I'm more than loyal enough. Selfish doesn't even describe me, at least from what people have said. Maybe I'm just giving the guy I like the wrong impression lol. But, it's too bad because I don't see myself changing for anybody if it doesn't do any real good, especially if he's judging me without completely knowing me. Thanks for your answer, though, I appreciated your honesty.

• And by "girls like you" I mean the stereotype.

• I think you read too much into my update. When I said I use my money for myself, it isn't to splurge on things I don't need (for example, those handbags I mentioned). I treat myself every once in a while, I don't see that as such a bad thing. But, do I spend all of this money just so I could walk out into town wearing the "latest" whatever on my body just to feel good? No, that's just silly and quite idiotic.

As to what you said about judging others, I completely agree.

All in all, it's alright now, while I might have disagreed on small bits of what you've said, you've helped plenty, so thank you on that.

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe you should define what high maintenance means to you.

A friend of mine is very meticulous and will always find a way to take things the wrong way and blow it out of proportion. Her boyfriend, well us too, has to tiptoe around her and watch every word in every sentence he says to not offend her. That's high maintenance to me.

• I see high maintenance as someone who can physically take care of themselves and knows how to (with dressing, hair, makeup, etc.)

• that's self-reliant and fashionable