Why am I feeling so down lately?

I've been feeling down for a few years now, and I wish I could be happy again. I don't know if it's lack of love or feeling in a rut in my career, but I don't know what's causing it or how to fix it.

41

Most Helpful Girl

• Well to start, I find a healthy diet and exercise will help with that a ton. It's amazing how a poor diet and lack of activity can bring your mood down, and some psychologists will even prescribe this as "medicine" before they offer antidepressants.

Then, I'd make a list of things you enjoy or changes you want to make. Do you wish you spent more time with friends? Start reconnecting and going out more. Missing a romantic connection? Get out there and start dating. Need a new hobby? Pick one up. Tired of your job? Start job hunting.

Making a list of goals and checking them off your list will help to improve your outlook.

• Yes, I was eating a healthy diet, but I was eating too big of portions. And lately, I've fallen back to fast foods. But I'll get back on track. I haven't exercised since being at the gym 4 months ago. I should get back there.
      Yes, I wish to spend more time with friends. Unfortunately, I work 3rd shift, and it's hard for me to hang out with people very well. I wish I had a romantic connection. I tried going to a church a while back, but either the women were too old (60s or 70s) or too young (teenage girls). I'd hate to go to a bar, but it doesn't seem like I have much of a choice. I could maybe try a different church. It's not so much that I hate my job. I just don't like the shift I'm on. I plan to talk to my supervisor in the morning, and see if she can open something up for me. I started flying planes 5 years ago, but that is too expensive. I have to wait until I get a promotion before I can resume that.

• I also work night shift so I understand the difficulty of that shift. I only work 3 nights a week though, so I could see how 5 days would really affect your social life. Also, have you considered online dating?

• Yes, I have tried online dating. To no success. I've updated my profile to change it up a bit. Not the information itself of course - just how I word things. I've gone on a few dates, but nothing has solidified to a second date and further. I actually work 4 days a week, with weekends (at least every other).

Most Helpful Guy

• cheer up dude!!! do things that you like more!