Is this dude interested? Texting habits?

I've noticed this really shy guy staring at me a lot, smiling and he'll often follow where I'm going and sit near me (on the days he's in) but we won't really talk in person. He also began liking my photos on Facebook so I thought I'd message him. I quite like him too but I figured it's best to take it slow for now. I said 'hey :)' and our conversation went from there. He sent long messages about his favourite TV show and bands but we fell asleep during the conversation and didn't continue it.
It was a week after, I decided to message him again saying 'hey :)' and he seemed alright, he asked me to listen to his favourite songs and I've tried getting into his style of music so we could have something in common. I'm actually liking it a lot now! I asked him how his weekend was but he didn't have a very good time. He didn't tell me what happened but I told him that even though we haven't spoken much, if he ever needed anything, please don't hesitate to ask :)
He seemed really appreciative about that but we haven't spoken since.
Everyone was saying that he's been crushing on me, do you reckon he might just be shy?
I'm nervous to message first again.
Also, how do shy guys normally act?

01