Guys, Why would my ex who broke up with me now be trying to make small talk?

My broke up with me 3 months ago and the relationship we had was very turbulent. My ex boyfriend treated me like absolute crap and has hurt me in every way possible. After not hearing from him for almost 6 wks he all of a sudden wants to be friends. The thing is that he has not apologized for doing me wrong, it's almost like he wants to just pick up where he left off. Since the relationship has been on/off I feel like if I would have accepted his friendship, that we would end up together.

Usually when we break up he goes through a pattern of not talking to me, then out of nowhere proposing that we be friends and all of a sudden we get back together. Well, this time around I declined the friendship because I feel like I will never be able to move on. In your opinion, why do guys do this? My ex also is not a young man, he is in his early 30's.
4